starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength with High-Bar squats?

Default Starting Strength with High-Bar squats?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe

I know that this concept may sound like blasphemy to you but I was wondering about linear progression using a high-bar squat. I don't know if the high-bar would be enough to keep the dead-lift moving. If you were to use the high-bar squat for starting strength then would you include extra dead-lifts, power-cleans, ect...?

FWIW, I began Starting Strength doing the high-bar squat, because I didn't like the feel of low-bar. After my first reset (290), I decided to do low-bar. I finally got the hang of it and continued using low-bar ever since.

During that time, my deadlift did continue to move up. However, I noticed that before, when I was doing high-bar, I'd usually fail a deadlift because I didn't have enough strength to even get it off the ground, and the max effort ones I was able to lock out really took a lot out of me -- blood rushing to my head, seeing red & black, feeling like I wanted to vomit, etc. After switching to low-bar, failed deadlifts were more commonly due to a weak grip, whereas my body felt like it could have handled more punishment.

So to summarize, if you really want to maximize your deadlift, I'd recommend getting used to low-bar position. However, if you stick with high-bar squats, your deadlift will continue to go up, just at a slightly lower pace. Personally speaking, I'd rather just grin and bear it than load up the routine with extra pulls.

It depends on why you want to do high bar. Flexibility?

Default Starting Strength with High-Bar squats?

Dude, this topic has been done to death. You can use high bar, and you don't even need to ask anyone's permission to do so but it's not optimal. Adding in all the accessory lifts in the world will not address the non-optimal nature of this substitution. Learn to squat low bar.

I've ran the programme with both low and high bar squats at different times and here are my findings.

Firstly, I do not think that high bar squats are optimal for the programme. If you're going to use them, then I think you should also do some extra hamstring work. The programme uses the exercises with the most bang for the buck so it can get away with a limited amount of them. High bar squats do not give you the most bang for your buck.

Regarding the deadlift, mine fared much better when I was low bar squatting... probably as my hamstrings were stronger. My back also rounded much less, too.

However, the low bar squat also fatigued my lower back much more than the high bar version, meaning when it came to the upper body lifts, they trailed quite badly.

Do high bar until your deadlift starts slowing down. Then add in RDLs for 3x5 on the day opposite to your deadlift day. You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rment View Post
    Do high bar until your deadlift starts slowing down. Then add in RDLs for 3x5 on the day opposite to your deadlift day. You'll be fine.
    This is would I would do if I were you. Another option (what I do right now) is Leg Curls instead of RDL's just to save the lower back. I'm an odd duck though, because for some reason my deadlift really started taking off after I started doing high bar squat.... go figure! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    This is would I would do if I were you. Another option (what I do right now) is Leg Curls instead of RDL's just to save the lower back. I'm an odd duck though, because for some reason my deadlift really started taking off after I started doing high bar squat.... go figure! :-)
    Yeah, any hamstring assistance should be fine. I just like RDLs since they work well for me. And on your second point, I think the difference between the styles is much less than people make it out to be. I mean, people think if you add 100 pounds to high bar, your deadlift isn't going to go up? That it's even going to stall, for a novice who can progress just by DLing every week? Makes no sense.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by t0rment View Post
    Yeah, any hamstring assistance should be fine. I just like RDLs since they work well for me. And on your second point, I think the difference between the styles is much less than people make it out to be. I mean, people think if you add 100 pounds to high bar, your deadlift isn't going to go up? That it's even going to stall, for a novice who can progress just by DLing every week? Makes no sense.
    Yep, I agree. I did high-bar squats during my linear progression, finishing with a 147.5 kg squat for 5 sets of 3, and a deadlift of 170 kg for 1 set of 5.