starting strength gym

Thread: Interesting studies about sumo/conventional deadlift...

Default Interesting studies about sumo/conventional deadlift...

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Found this while researching sumo deadlifts. I'm sure you can find the original studies if you're anal about the validity of them. Just an interesting read.

Form I found it on

I wish there was a decent, in depth explanation on sumo's somewhere. No luck yet. I like to research these things. Hit me up if you guys find any other info.

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Found this while researching sumo deadlifts. I'm sure you can find the original studies if you're anal about the validity of them. Just an interesting read.

Form I found it on

I wish there was a decent, in depth explanation on sumo's somewhere. No luck yet. I like to research these things. Hit me up if you guys find any other info.
    Sumo Deadlift

The muscle firing sequence is Legs-Back, as McCullough's article notes.

"The liftoff"

"The sumo has a trunk angle that is significantly closer to vertical that conventional lifters. Sumo lifters were also found to have much larger hip and knee angles at the start of the lift. This style shifts the bulk of the load on the hips and knees."

The quads are much more involved in breaking the weight off the floor. As the weight ascends, more of the erectors come into play.

An electromyographic analysis of sumo and conventional style deadlifts
    http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Abstract/2002/04000/An_electromyographic_analysis_of_sumo_and.19.aspx

"Overall EMG activity from the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, and tibialis anterior were significantly greater in the sumo deadlift" compared to a conventional deadlift.

In plain English, that means the quads are uses moreso in the sumo than conventional.

Best Sumo Deadlift Auxiliary Exercises

1) Wide Stand Belt Squats

2) Quater Squats...wide stance, medium, narrow stance.

3) Leg Press. Wide Stance Leg Press (providing you can find a Leg Press platform with a wide platform), medium, narrow stance.

The Deadlift: A Scientific Analysis
    http://www.nhomag.com/99_v1_n2_5.asp

This article provide some good information.

Deadlift 5 Plates Like A Champ
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/deadlift-5-plates-like-a-champion/

This provide some interesting information that may help you.

Biomechanical Analysis of The Deadlift

This is a research article. Some of the information from McCullough's article appears to come from it.

I can email you the research article on it if you like.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 08-22-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Kenny! Damn man thanks. Talk about detail.

I decided to research lifts before I try them. Sumo's are on the list for the months to come. A few questions if you don't mind.

I was wondering, since the bulk of the load at the beginning are on the hips and knees, are the knees still in a safe position?

Are there any forces that you know off at the bottom position during the ascend that can hurt the cartilage due to unbalanced forces? I'm asking because your hips are so spread out. Or does it have to do with the weight being kept on the foot as a whole, knees in line with the toes?

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

I found this particularly amusing:

the average total distance the bar must travel to complete the lift was reduced by 19%. As we all know work is defined by taking the amount of force or weight and multiplying it by the distance the bar must travel. So by reducing the distance by 19%, the sumo lifter has automatically reduced the amount of work necessary to lift a given amount of weight.

Power is defined as total work divided by time. So the actual amount of power it takes to lift the weight is highly dependent on the amount of time it takes to lift the weight. However, McGuinan and Wilson (1996) determined that both the sumo and conventional stance required an average of 2.0 seconds to complete. Thus, there is no difference in the amount of power produced by either lift.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    I found this particularly amusing:
    Fuckin' math, how does it work?

I guess they forgot that the total work differed between the two.

Good info Kenny. Progress has slowed in my deadlift recently and I've been giving consideration to changing to sumo style as I am tall, 6'4", with long legs.

I'm also 6'4 dude. Since the quads are so involved, you would think it would kinda help your squat too a little. They don't use all quads, but it should help yes? and help build your quads. I want big legs so eventually I'll try them

Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post

Form I found it on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5tQpNoSiKU

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptryn View Post
    Good info Kenny. Progress has slowed in my deadlift recently and I've been giving consideration to changing to sumo style as I am tall, 6'4", with long legs.

"Reseach is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing." Einstein

The only way to know if the sumo is for you is to try it and see.

Overtrainng Lower Back

One of the problems with deadlifting is that the lower back is quickly and easily overtrained. When that occurs progress slows, stops and eventually drops.

Deadlift Training Frequence

One of the keys to making progress in the deadlift is your training frequencey. Usually, once every 7 - 10 days allows you lower back to recovery, to make progress.

Without knowing more, it's hard to say what has slowed your progress down.

Kenny Croxdale