starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks for taking the time to critique

These look pretty good. You have a slight tendency to come on your toes a bit. Keep weight mid foot. Some shoes might help with that.

Only nitpick I have is slow it down a little bit going down. The weight is light for you so it looks fine for now, but sometimes when novices divebomb like that, they lose tightness (back rounds, knees come forward, etc.). Basically the eccentric speed can enhance form problems once the weight gets challenging, if you're not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoye View Post
    These look pretty good. You have a slight tendency to come on your toes a bit. Keep weight mid foot. Some shoes might help with that.

Only nitpick I have is slow it down a little bit going down. The weight is light for you so it looks fine for now, but sometimes when novices divebomb like that, they lose tightness (back rounds, knees come forward, etc.). Basically the eccentric speed can enhance form problems once the weight gets challenging, if you're not careful.
    Actually that weight is hard as hell for me. I'll try to go slow on the way down thought, thanks for the tips

You look like you're sort of plopping down. Stick your butt back and push your knees out at the same time to initiate the descent.

You got a lot of gas in the tank man, I promise.

And sorry I just realized this, but it looks like (maybe? hard to tell) you're squatting from the high bar position. Is that on purpose?

High bar is definitely not on purpose. here's a vid from last night with a better back angle. If I need to lower the bar I definitely will.

Hmm bar position doesn't necessarily look too high from this angle...but the fact that it's rolling around on your back makes me think it is placed wrong or you're not supporting it right.

Watch the bar position video and make sure you're getting it there. Remember chest up, elbows up, and keep it tight like that. http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

Looks like you could be getting more hip drive...shove your knees out more. This may help you get a little more depth too (sometimes its close to being a little high). Shove the knees out more and you'll feel tighter and get better hip drive.

Get your knees out more and keep them out. Drive with your hips to the top and do not lift your chest when you are halfway up.

starting strength coach development program
    Need more hip drive.

Gotta slow the pace down, you are really dive-bombing the hole.

Knees sliding forward at the bottom (See Fig 2-49 in 3rd Edition).

Actually those final two points are probably closely related. Read bottom of page 53 in 3rd Edition.