starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check (How original!)

Default Squat Form Check (How original!)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Have struggled w/ ham flexibility and keeping back straight for a LONG time. Worked up to 415 (incorrectly) more than once only to suffer a knock out back injury, and then start over. I think this is decent, but am not satisfied w/ decent.

This is me doing 300 X 10 after a week off bc of the flu. I usually work out at a box, but to get someone to film me had to do it in garage, and 300 is all the iron I have at home.

My working set is currently 355 X 5 X 3.

Thanks for the input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApK7B2I8-1E

ps. Will be posting DL later, but one thing at a time.

Your squats look pretty good, although your lower back unlocks a little more than I would like to see. Your stance is also wide and you may be looking forwards/upwards. Other than those small things, I don't see anything wrong. Weightlifting shoes probably wouldn't hurt as far as keeping your back arched a little more.

I thing your squat is mostly fine. My eyes can't pick up anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Your squats look pretty good, although your lower back unlocks a little more than I would like to see. Your stance is also wide and you may be looking forwards/upwards. Other than those small things, I don't see anything wrong. Weightlifting shoes probably wouldn't hurt as far as keeping your back arched a little more.
    Dead on. That's what I see too.

I spread my legs as wide as poss., bc otherwise my back rounding would be even worse. My hamstring flexibility is TERRIBLE. Any suggestions?

As I sit here I don't know if I'll ever be able to squat again. I hurt my back yesterday while still warming up, and can't get out of a chair right now by myself. I think I messed up a disk. Going to the doctor today.

On Lortab and muscle relaxers right now, and not even making a dent in the pain.
    Last edited by macorn63; 12-06-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by macorn63 View Post
    Dead on. That's what I see too.

I spread my legs as wide as poss., bc otherwise my back rounding would be even worse. My hamstring flexibility is TERRIBLE. Any suggestions?

As I sit here I don't know if I'll ever be able to squat again. I hurt my back yesterday while still warming up, and can't get out of a chair right now by myself. I think I messed up a disk. Going to the doctor today.

On Lortab and muscle relaxers right now, and not even making a dent in the pain.
    Spinal decompression?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Spinal decompression?
    Are you suggesting that as a treatment?

X-rays showed everything normal. Doctor said its a severe sprain w/ spasms. Didn't know a sprain could hurt this freaking bad.

My big question is, after a long rehab, would it be unwise to continue squatting heavy?

X-rays showed everything normal. Doctor said its a severe sprain w/ spasms. Didn't know a sprain could hurt this freaking bad.

My big question is, after a long rehab, would it be unwise to continue squatting heavy?
    It's most likely not muscular. Some people report feeling better with spinal decompression. Hang from a chin up bar for a minute. You might need straps for that, or you can use two weightlifting belts (loop them around the bar and put your elbows inside the belts.

Just about passed out last night trying to get up off of the floor. But I will try that in a few days. For now ice seems to help more than anything.

Just about passed out last night trying to get up off of the floor. But I will try that in a few days. For now ice seems to help more than anything.
    Your previous question: yes, once you're healed you can squat heavy again. Just correct what caused the injury.

starting strength coach development program

Just a tip but x-rays show basically nothing when it comes to back issues, only an MRI would tell you if you have problems with your discs.

The way it works is this, you show up with back pain they tell you to take it easy and call it back spasms, if the pain continues severely for long enough accompanied with numbness they will tell you to take it even easier. Finally after months of excruciating debilitating back pain they will send you for an MRI where they can actually see what's wrong with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast