starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift form help

Red face deadlift form help

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey guys, here's my form: I know my back is rounding right at the start of the lift and I'm very unsure of how to fix this. I've tried a number of ways to just get my back in the right spot and I can just barely get it down into the right position (maybe hip inflexibility or very tight quads? I've been doing the hip mobility stretch).

Any advice on how to keep my back from rounding at the start would really really help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVw08GUsr8I

I must add that my back is incredibly bendy at that point and in general I have a hard time keeping it locked out.

Try doing some RDLs

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...atform_the_rdl

You need to be able to know what lumbar extension looks and feels like. Watch yourself in the mirror. Lower the bar as far as you can until you feel your hamstrings won't stretch any further without losing your lumbar extension. Always pay attention to all the small details in how different parts of your body feel during each rep. You'll gradually gain a better feel for how to keep your back in extension, and hopefully you can transfer that over to your deadlift.

I have done RDLs quite a bit when I had injured my IT band. (wanted to keep working my quads/glutes but a full movement DL is considering bad for the IT band).

I don't actually have much of an issue with those and I know _exactly_ what you are talking about.

Pulling the weight up from the start is the main issue for me and I can't seem to keep that area under perfect tension. I can definitely try warming up with some RDLs before going for my lift but I'm a tad worried it's something to do with my start position?

Your start position definitely doesn't help you out with this, so yes that is a primary problem for you. Try this, after gripping the bar, roll it forward away from your shins. Lower your butt a few (or several, it doesn't matter) inches. That should give you some slack to allow you to set your lumbar spine into extension by rotating your pelvis anteriorly. You'll feel this stretching your hamstrings. Then pull the bar back into your shins and raise your butt as much as you can without loosening your lumbar extension. You can then from there adjust your bodyweight forward or back as needed to get the bar in position under your scapular spine. That is one good way to set up, and from there all that's left is to lock in that lumbar position once the bar is off the floor, and not let the weight of the bar pull your back out of extension.

Alright, I will try this. My hamstrings are usually pretty darn tight (running, cycling, ballet etc). So perhaps I need to go in and get a good stretch on them as well and see if that lets me sink into it a bit deeper with a locked out back.

Thanks for your input!

Alright, I think your advice really helped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn2VoPLTXQY

I think that's a lot better but I did finally put it down that it's moving that last two inches down to the bar that causes my mid back to bend down ( just weird movement trigger in my head or bad hip flexibility?).

Thanks for your help and let me know if there's anything else I should fix in there.

Sorry, it's hard to see because the video is sideways and too dark. At 0:11 it looks like you're able to get your back into correct position. From there, you need to suck in and hold as much air as you can and lock your lower back into that position before you break it off the floor; you can see that right now your back starts to get pulled out of extension as soon as you start to lift the bar. It also looks like the bar is too far away from your shins at that point, but again it's hard to see. What happened to the round plates in your first video?

this helps a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5AbgJeheT8

I'll work on keeping the back more locked into extension in the lumbar. I'll go back down to 2plate (maybe less if I can't do it when I focus) and work back up and see how it goes. Thanks a lot for your help, I think I'm close to getting this down better.

starting strength coach development program
    Put the bar down like you pick it up. Don't round your back on the drop.