starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think They're Fine

Default I Think They're Fine

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    It never fails that you run across those that say, "Be careful about leaning too far forward on your squats. Some of them turn into a good morning." It's usually the advocates of looking up...after a while it kind of pisses me off.

So I realize that on some tough reps, my knees don't stay in place as well, causing my hips to rise a little faster than my chest, but it's fucking heavy.

Can someone validate me here? Are they really that bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Epb0TbqJU&t=45

Looks like some pretty good squats to me. You had some technique breakdown towards the end of the set as you pointed out, but nothing I would be concerned about. That shit happens.

Your squats look just fine. Good control of the weight and your back angle throughout. One or two reps were probably high, but it was by no means a consistent problem.

Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    ...One or two reps were probably high, but it was by no means a consistent problem.
    Reps 6 and 7 in my opinion. Thanks again, man.

I watched twice and paused it when needed, and I did not see a single rep that was high. All of you reps on all of your sets in all of the videos I watched looked good. PRs and maxes aren't ever "pretty", and if they are, they aren't PRs or maxes.

But never fear, this is SS Forums, someone (who is probably weaker than you) will be along shortly to tell you how to improve your squats, such as to use the TUBOW, push your knees out, etc etc etc. It never fails.

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    someone (who is probably weaker than you)...
    Thanks, @KAG. I think you have a good point there. It seems someone always pipes in about my form when things are going best...I wonder if it's a jealous stab. Don't get me wrong. I seek good criticism. I can't tell you how many times I have reset to get it right, much thanks to the many good people on this board.

And BTW, the comments did not come from this forum.

Nice squats.

Yeah, the squats looked good to me too. Keep the beast mode going! :-)

Maybe it's that when something is obviously wrong, it sets the level of wrongness to comment on. Wheras when there's only little things, they're all as barely wrong as each other, so there's a competition which to comment on.
    These look great.

starting strength coach development program
    They are fine, as has been commented. I also didn't think any of them looked high, though I'd listen to TomC over me. One thing I did notice was that your heels lift up a tiny bit on most reps. Might suggest a shifting of the weight more forward than midfoot/not vertical bar path. Might be worth it to take a vid from the side to check it out.

But it's still minutiae, 320x10 is no joke, nice job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast