starting strength gym

Thread: low bar squat

Default low bar squat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    recently i have had to position my arms further apart (due to flexibility) in order to get a thumbless grip, as my elbow where becoming aggravated from to much pressure on my wrists with a 'normal grip'.

As a result, i am finding it a lot more difficult to find that 'shelf' feeling i would normally get with a tighter back. sometimes and it only happens on one side of my shoulder the bar rests on what feels like something 'boney'. Does this indicate the bar is resting slightly to high or slightly to low?

also have been reading around that if you low bar squat, even if you just brake parallel if recruits your glutes and hams equally compared to if you where high bar squatting ATG. Is this true or a load of shit?
    thanks
    Last edited by deadliftman; 02-29-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadliftman View Post
    recently i have had to position my arms further apart (due to flexibility) in order to get a thumbless grip, as my elbow where becoming aggravated from to much pressure on my wrists with a 'normal grip'.

As a result, i am finding it a lot more difficult to find that 'shelf' feeling i would normally get with a tighter back. sometimes and it only happens on one side of my shoulder the bar rests on what feels like something 'boney'. Does this indicate the bar is resting slightly to high or slightly to low?
    It would be helpful to be able to see what you're doing with the bar. It sounds like you had incorrect bar placement/grip to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by deadliftman View Post
    also have been reading around that if you low bar squat, even if you just brake parallel if recruits your glutes and hams equally compared to if you where high bar squatting ATG. Is this true or a load of shit?
    thanks
    It's not "equally". It's "more". This is explained in the book and over and over again on the forum. A search should turn up a crapload of posts about this.

well like i said my positioning of my grip when squatting is wider then i would like to be due to my changing to a thumbless grip, i cant physically get into the position that i used to do which offered a really tight back and nice shelf feeling, in the meantime i am working on flexibility to improve this...

at the moment i don't have phone that has a video camera, my blackberry doesn't have a media card in it, that's what it keeps saying.

but anyone else that knows what i am talking about with the boney feeling please comment!