starting strength gym

Thread: Experienced lifter, about to start program. advice?

Default Experienced lifter, about to start program. advice?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First off, I've been lifting for a few years regularly (crossfit).
    Ht: 5'6
    Wt: 160

Current 5RM's
    Squat: 235
    Deadlift: 315
    Press: 120

Based on what I have read, it advises to start the program at a weight in which you hit your old 5rm's at about the 4-5th week. 5# increase/day on Squat/Press, 10# increase/day on Deadlift.

Based on that, that seems to put my starting weights at :
    Squat: 155
    Deadlift: 225
    Press: 80

Does this sound right? Any advice?

If those are really your 5RMs, then the weights you suggested are too light. Pick weights that you can make for 3x5 with good form while doing some work. What have you read that suggests you hit your old 5 RMs on the 4th to 5th week? My guess is that it wasn't something written by Rip. Beginners won't have 5 RMs and shouldn't try to find them. If you must have a number, consider taking 90% of your 5RMs and starting there. Don't quote me on that or say that everyone should find their 5 RM and multiply it by 0.9. For deadlift, that may be too light. See how things go. Start conservatively and make weight jumps as appropriate. The only way to really do this correctly is by feel.

Tom, is there a downside other than potentially 'wasting' a couple weeks to starting too light? The downside from starting too heavy would be possible injury / burnout. If one is coming from crossfit and moving to a linear progression, would it be prudent to consider the following?
    - if those are 5RMs from crossfit, they are likely from doing one set across with that being the one lift of the day. Moving to multiple sets across for 3 lifts a day is going to be quite a change.
    - there is going to be more rest involved in a linear progression than crossfit workouts, don't take this lightly, recover properly.
    - there is going to be more eating involved in a linear progression, start early, don't wait until the lifts get hard.

When I first moved over, started way to high and could barely walk for a couple days. Why not start with the weights in the original post, and move from there, keeping an eye on form the whole way through? Thanks.

You obviously don't want to start too heavy, but starting too light is not good either. You would waste time and potentially detrain. The magic behind this program is the disruption of homeostasis followed by recovery and supercompensation. In order to get stronger, you must first work out hard enough to disrupt homeostasis. Humans are resilient creatures and thrive on challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Humans are resilient creatures and thrive on challenge.
    I nominate this quote for a T-Shirt. Now to think of the right picture to go with it...

starting strength coach development program
    thanks guys, a few things to consider.....