starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there anything wrong with doing SS slowly?

Default Is there anything wrong with doing SS slowly?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Suppose that I lack the dedication/resources/intelligence to consume the food or get the sleep needed to do SS properly. Specifically I'm not adding weight at every single workout. Is there anything wrong with doing SS at a slower pace?

I've been 'doing' SS for 14 weeks. That is, I've been doing the lifts but I haven't been religiously consuming surplus calories nor adding weight at every workout. I am 100% guilty of YNDTP. Despite this, I've increased all lifts 20-40% in the last 10 weeks and I'm looking and feeling great. I've hit "Novice" level on all lifts by the strstd metrics and am on pace to hit "Intermediate" on all lifts by September.

So is there anything detrimental about 'doing' SS but progressing at a slower pace? e.g., allowing 5 strikes before calling it a stall and allowing 2-3 workouts between increases instead of 0. Is SS an all-or-nothing proposition, or can I expect to continue making gains for some time.
    Last edited by mechtonia; 05-15-2014 at 09:34 AM.

If it's working for you then I wouldn't worry.

There's nothing wrong with it. You're not actually "Doing SS," but you know that already. If that's what you want to do, you're making progress and are happy with it, go ahead. Use good form, make increases when you're able. The SS Police will not be paying you a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The SS Police will not be paying you a visit.
    You can't spell S.S.C. without "S.S."

I don't see the point honestly. Not in some sort of highbrow sense, but in terms of pure laziness. If you're going to be busting your ass doing the workouts, why wouldn't you want to do the other parts that are about 100x less stressful to maximize the effects? If you're going to be doing the workout anyway and can lift the higher weight, why wouldn't you?

I don't see how its any easier or less stressful to do it slower when you could do it at the normal speed. I understand people not being able to get adequate rest due to life commitments they're not willing to give up. I also understand not eating correctly because you enjoy food etc. I understand slowing your progression down because you're unwilling/unable to allocate more than a certain amount of time to the gym. I just don't understand what possible benefit there is from slowing your progression artificially by not adding weight when you could. What do you get out of this? When you leave the gym early / skip workouts you get to do other things, when you blow the diet you can eat tasty foods, whats the incentive to not increasing the weight though?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I don't see the point honestly. Not in some sort of highbrow sense, but in terms of pure laziness. If you're going to be busting your ass doing the workouts, why wouldn't you want to do the other parts that are about 100x less stressful to maximize the effects? If you're going to be doing the workout anyway and can lift the higher weight, why wouldn't you?

I don't see how its any easier or less stressful to do it slower when you could do it at the normal speed. I understand people not being able to get adequate rest due to life commitments they're not willing to give up. I also understand not eating correctly because you enjoy food etc. I understand slowing your progression down because you're unwilling/unable to allocate more than a certain amount of time to the gym. I just don't understand what possible benefit there is from slowing your progression artificially by not adding weight when you could. What do you get out of this? When you leave the gym early / skip workouts you get to do other things, when you blow the diet you can eat tasty foods, whats the incentive to not increasing the weight though?
    Just a clarification, I don't ever skip workouts and I always add weight as soon as I can. I usually try to add weight every workout but only get 4 reps, so I back off to my previous weight and do 3x5.

I think my progress is really limited by eating enough. I'm 6'5" 205lbs. I usually eat 4 meals per day and have two protein shakes. And I don't put on a pound. That's all that I am willing to do as long as I am still making some progress. I'd love to drink a GOMAD but I have 6 mouths to feed and adding another $120 per month onto our food bill isn't reasonable.

Also I have really long limbs (81" wingspan, 38" pants inseam) which puts me at a disadvantage on most lifts versus your average 5'10" guy. E.g. my deadlift is awesome and my bench sucks.

If you're meeting your goals, I see nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    at 6'5" and 205lb, you are way too scrawny.

milk and potatoes for a friendly eating budget. not exciting, but it will help.
    I avoid potatoes because I associate them with simple carbs and empty calories. Am I doing it wrong? Sounds like I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mechtonia View Post
    I avoid potatoes because I associate them with simple carbs and empty calories. Am I doing it wrong? Sounds like I am.
    If your goal was losing fat, no. If your goal is gaining weight, yes. I think the argument that its too expensive to eat enough is simply not true if you're willing to make different food choices. If the argument is that its unpleasant I can definitely accept that.

I don't understand eating clean while bulking, or eating dirty while trying to drop fat. It's not impossible to do either, but why make things 10x harder?

starting strength coach development program
    The carbs in potatoes are quite complex and deep and full of meaning if you just take the time to get to know them. At 6'5" and 205, there aren't a lot of foods you should be avoiding, though I'm going to guess you're not that young and with your progression being as it is, gaining weight too fast would be a mistake.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast