starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lactic acid buffering

Default Lactic acid buffering

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been reading up on this in hopes of using it to let me push myself a little harder than I normally could during a firefighter challenge I'll be doing on the 4th of June. From the research I've read it seems there are some mixed results and the side effects can range from explosive diarrhea to mild gastro intestinal discomfort. Anyone have any experience with sodium bicarbonate loading and lactic acid buffering?

creatine decreases lactic acid

Give me some research that proves that...I've been under the impression my whole life that high intensity conditioning work and creatine don't mix well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Hendrix View Post
    Give me some research that proves that...I've been under the impression my whole life that high intensity conditioning work and creatine don't mix well.
    Just google "creatine lactic acid"

Why is lactic acid a problem?

I've been reading up on this in hopes of using it to let me push myself a little harder than I normally could during a firefighter challenge I'll be doing on the 4th of June. From the research I've read it seems there are some mixed results and the side effects can range from explosive diarrhea to mild gastro intestinal discomfort. Anyone have any experience with sodium bicarbonate loading and lactic acid buffering?
    See above

See above
    That doesn't answer my question. What problems do lactic acid cause? It's not responsible for the acidosis that occurs when exhausting a muscle.

Unless I'm under the wrong impression, once you've reached the threshold where your mitochondria's demand for ATP is greater than what your body can produce glycolysis ramps up even further and the pyruvate that is not being used is converted into lactate becoming lactic acid.

By taking a sodium bicarbonate it helps to keep your blood pH closer to neutral for a longer period of time by lowering the pH of your blood where the lactate is accumulating.

Unless I'm under the wrong impression, once you've reached the threshold where your mitochondria's demand for ATP is greater than what your body can produce glycolysis ramps up even further and the pyruvate that is not being used is converted into lactate becoming lactic acid.
    You are under the wrong impression. Look it up.

starting strength coach development program

By taking a sodium bicarbonate it helps to keep your blood pH closer to neutral for a longer period of time by lowering the pH of your blood where the lactate is accumulating.
    Yes, this is not true. It's complicated, but the short version is "this is not true".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast