starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    30 y/o, 6'3", BW 190lbs

I have been lifting since January, and switched to Starting Strength in late April. Have been trying to switch to low-bar squatting over the last week -- getting closer but need a good form check.

thanks in advance for your comments.

220 (set 2)

220 (set 3)

Set your back angle earlier in the descent, rebound harder out of the bottom, and put on 30lbs asap.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    Set your back angle earlier in the descent, rebound harder out of the bottom, and put on 30lbs asap.
    Thanks, working on the weight gain... I see what you are saying about back angle, but I am not sure exactly how to do/cue that. Is it more "hips back" at beginning or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by PNT View Post
    Thanks, working on the weight gain... I see what you are saying about back angle, but I am not sure exactly how to do/cue that. Is it more "hips back" at beginning or something else?
    Proud chest and flex your abs. The tighter you can stay, the better the stretch reflex will be. I'm not a fan of the shoes either.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Proud chest and flex your abs. The tighter you can stay, the better the stretch reflex will be. I'm not a fan of the shoes either.
    OK, thanks.

The shoes... yeah I have had these for years and decided to use them for lifting, but I don't love them either. They lack rigidity. A few weeks ago I was standing up from kneeling and strained some ligaments in my big toe. Dumb minor injury.

So... what shoes do you recommend?

Olympic weightlifting shoes with an effective heel height of around 5/8" - 0.75" and preferably with a meta-something-something strap (velcro strap across the shoe).
    Pictures in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by PNT View Post
    OK, thanks.

The shoes... yeah I have had these for years and decided to use them for lifting, but I don't love them either. They lack rigidity. A few weeks ago I was standing up from kneeling and strained some ligaments in my big toe. Dumb minor injury.

So... what shoes do you recommend?
    Lots of shoe discussions. Just something with a firm sole. Oly shoe or a flat, as long as it's firm.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all for comments so far...