starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just starting back after a long hiatus. Working on adrenal fatigue issues, but good to be back. I didn't feel/see anything too wrong, so I figured it would help to have you all take a look at it.

Sorry for the fan noise and dark clothes.

30 yo, 6', 230 lbs.

1x5, 195 lbs

5/23/16 Deadlift 195 1x5 - YouTube

Looks light, repost a heavy set of 5 and we can give you more meaningful feedback. Only thing I see is a slight overextension of the hips at the top of the deadlift. To finish the DL, just stand up straight; no need to hump the bar or to lean back.

Again, these were too easy. And nice flag, Semper Fi!

Thanks for the sanity check, Adam. I think I may have undershot on the deload... they were pretty light. Just starting back and didn't want to go too heavy. I'll post deadlift and low bar squats in a few weeks. Need the time to groove in my LBBS, anyway... feel like a monkey fuckin a football.

Semper fi, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    Only thing I see is a slight overextension of the hips at the top of the deadlift. To finish the DL, just stand up straight; no need to hump the bar or to lean back.
    This is good advice. Also you can do a better job of getting SQUOZE at the bottom. Really squeeze your chest up hard and extend your low back. Remember the bottom position should be hard to get into. It may help to look a few more feet forward than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Just starting back after a long hiatus. Working on adrenal fatigue issues, but good to be back. I didn't feel/see anything too wrong, so I figured it would help to have you all take a look at it.

Sorry for the fan noise and dark clothes.

30 yo, 6', 230 lbs.

1x5, 195 lbs

5/23/16 Deadlift 195 1x5 - YouTube
    You're breaking your knees early on the descent. See how the bar has to go around your knees each time? Bend your knees *after* the bar goes past the knees on the way down. When you work up to heavier weights, having the bar grind off your knee caps is not fun. It will also help keep the bar in that vertical bar path (putting the bar in the correct position for the next rep).