starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptation to Hook Grip

Default Adaptation to Hook Grip

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Last week I used the hook grip for the first time successfully. Previously the bars at my gym have been too thick (cheap) for me to effectively lock it in and so every time I've experimented I've ended up being even weaker than regular DoH. We got some new better bars in a few weeks ago, and as I have a couple of weeks of lighter work scheduled to recover from maxing last week I decided to give it a run. It worked far better than I expected - it was finally notably stronger than DoH and I managed a set of 4 about 70lbs heavier than I'd ever managed to hook for a single before. However, pain was the limiting factor on the subsequent sets and I was unable to complete all the reps without switching to mixed.

How long did it take other people for pain to stop being the limiting factor?
    Once that occurred was it automatically as strong as the mixed?
    Are there are techniques, other than practice, to help aid that adaptation?

I've been hookgripping for a few weeks now, and I thought the pain would decrease as I adjusted to it but it has not as of yet. I'm still using it though as the pain is bearable although my thumbs are useless for 5 minutes after deadlifting. Although the pain is bad, I still find it stronger than mixed grip, and having the arms/shoulders rotated the same way, its easier for me to keep the bar close to my legs on the way up - an issue I've had in times past with mixed grip.

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post

3 Weeks
    Yes
    No

Even after your thumbs adapt its still not going to feel great. It just becomes bearable, that's all

It took me about awhile to stop complaining about it or fretting before pulling, but I'm a wuss. The biggest thing, I think, is to avoid the temptation to release the hook at anytime during the set. I still do it, usually after the third or fourth rep, and the thumb discomfort is heightened thereafter.

Are you doing more than one set? You might consider hooking your topset/first set and strapping up for the rest, as mentioned here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1318599

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    3 Weeks
    Yes
    No

Even after your thumbs adapt its still not going to feel great. It just becomes bearable, that's all
    That's great. Ultimately the bolded bit is what matters.

Here is a good video about the hook grip.

Be warned, at the beginning is a video of a distal bicep tendon rupture. I believe the link I posted skips that.

How to Hook Grip with Mark Robb - YouTube

Last week I used the hook grip for the first time successfully. Previously the bars at my gym have been too thick (cheap) for me to effectively lock it in and so every time I've experimented I've ended up being even weaker than regular DoH. We got some new better bars in a few weeks ago, and as I have a couple of weeks of lighter work scheduled to recover from maxing last week I decided to give it a run. It worked far better than I expected - it was finally notably stronger than DoH and I managed a set of 4 about 70lbs heavier than I'd ever managed to hook for a single before. However, pain was the limiting factor on the subsequent sets and I was unable to complete all the reps without switching to mixed.

Pain never really "goes away" so to speak, it just becomes more toleratable (watch my videos sometime and pay attention to what I do after the last rep)
    I've never recovered a missed rep by switching to a mixed. With that said, when you're doing sets across, each set will get more painful and eventually impair your ability to keep your back tight. So my general recommendation is always do your top set with a hook no matter what, do as many subsequent sets as possible until it starts to hurt too much, then switch to straps. Assistance exercises are at your discretion. Use DOH if you can or switch to straps if you want to zone in on the movement pattern without worrying about what your hands are doing.

Techniques - Hook gripped Farmer's holds and carries work well and holding the last rep of your deadlifts for time (10,20,30+ seconds) works well too.

If you progressively overload the hook it will get strong enough to pull your biggest deadlift.

been hooking for several months, maybe a year. Pain just becomes tolerable.

Many lifters who don't compete use traps. I compete so I use the hook.

Are these for deadlifts or power cleans? If deadlifts, why are you doing multiple sets? Use a DOH grip for your warm ups then hook for the work set. At sufficiently high enough weight thumb pain will be the last thing on your mind.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    At sufficiently high enough weight thumb pain will be the last thing on your mind.
    I agree with this, as long as you chalk your hands (especially thumb) well.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to adapt. It's not what I would identify as painful, but holding a rep at the top can get pretty uncomfortable as your thumb starts to go numb.

Another point is to make sure that the bar is sitting in the proper low position in your fingers, and not higher up towards the palm. The latter will be needlessly painful, and doesn't improve grip strength, but might have felt more natural at first, depending on your finger length.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast