starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is it weird that the hardest part of my squat (at least physically) is getting the bar and my hands in the right place? My shoulders feel really tight, and almost hurt immediately after I release the bar.

Squat - 185 lbs on Vimeo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg View Post
    Is it weird that the hardest part of my squat (at least physically) is getting the bar and my hands in the right place? My shoulders feel really tight, and almost hurt immediately after I release the bar.

Squat - 185 lbs on Vimeo
    That's a common problem (I had/have it too). Are you keeping your upper back in position? See the sticky about filming form checks.

Is it weird that the hardest part of my squat (at least physically) is getting the bar and my hands in the right place?
    It's the hardest thing for me.

Try some shoulder stretches every day. I start with a wide grip on warmups and gradually move my hands in as the warmups progress.

Separately, you are moving your head during your reps. You may be keeping your gaze stationary, but watch your video and see how your head comes up during your descent. You can really see it when you pop the head back down as you finish each rep. That head movement can affect your technique and balance, and is causing your cervical spine to be in flexion under load during the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Try some shoulder stretches every day. I start with a wide grip on warmups and gradually move my hands in as the warmups progress.
    Do you have any to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Separately, you are moving your head during your reps. You may be keeping your gaze stationary, but watch your video and see how your head comes up during your descent. You can really see it when you pop the head back down as you finish each rep. That head movement can affect your technique and balance, and is causing your cervical spine to be in flexion under load during the movement.
    Good point. Not sure why I do that at the top...

I found pec stretches to help because for me its tight pecs that limit how far back my shoulder will go

I do one that helps me: standing, arms straight out to sides, palms up, thumbs facing behind you. try to pull your hands together behind your back while squeezing your shoulder blades together. Hold about 3 seconds, do 10-12 reps. When I do this daily my shoulder region is plenty flexible for squats; if I skip it for a few days I notice a difference (tightness sets in).

You should really film your next set from the direct rear. I think your hips corkscrew on the way down and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kennedy View Post
    You should really film your next set from the direct rear. I think your hips corkscrew on the way down and up.
    I'll try to get it from that angle, but what does it mean that hips corkscrew?

starting strength coach development program
    I'll try to get it from that angle, but what does it mean that hips corkscrew?

Your hips loop on the way down and up.