starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check 75kgx5

Default Squat Form Check 75kgx5

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm 56kg (174.5cm) and this is week is the first day of week 3 of starting strength. Started at 60kg and worked my way up to 75kg. From above 70kg on wards the squats became even more challenging and harder. Really struggled today. I was wondering if my squat form is okay? Thanks

Squat 75x5 - YouTube

You're not hitting depth.

It also looks as though you may be trying to squat too upright.

You need to film your squats at a better camera angle. It's hard to see everything with a view like this.

One other problem (would be good to see from a better angle) seems to be that you're looking up in the bottom of the lift. It easily happens when training in front of a mirror but try unlearning that as soon as possible and keep a neutral neck during the whole lift.

Quote Originally Posted by athlegan View Post
    One other problem (would be good to see from a better angle) seems to be that you're looking up in the bottom of the lift. It easily happens when training in front of a mirror but try unlearning that as soon as possible and keep a neutral neck during the whole lift.
    He's looking in the mirror for the entirety of the lift.

I would agree with the others that you seem to not hit the depth on the lifts, also you said you were 3 weeks in, what made you choose 60kg as starting point? You would have much longer progression and would have felt the proper feeling of SS if you had started lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Evicos View Post
    I would agree with the others that you seem to not hit the depth on the lifts, also you said you were 3 weeks in, what made you choose 60kg as starting point? You would have much longer progression and would have felt the proper feeling of SS if you had started lower.
    Proper feeling? I'm not sure what that means. If the OP used the proper method for determining starting weight, then so be it. But his form is problematic. That needs to be addressed immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Proper feeling? I'm not sure what that means. If the OP used the proper method for determining starting weight, then so be it. But his form is problematic. That needs to be addressed immediately.
    Sorry about the homemade terminology, what I mean is that with a lower starting weight he would have had more chances to work on the technical parts. Reaching depth with a new form such as low-bar can be quite "scary" to get that feeling of getting "stuck" down there, but I digress. If OP would write some more background or give more information on why he doesn't reach the depth needed perhaps we could assist better!

Quote Originally Posted by Evicos View Post
    Sorry about the homemade terminology, what I mean is that with a lower starting weight he would have had more chances to work on the technical parts. Reaching depth with a new form such as low-bar can be quite "scary" to get that feeling of getting "stuck" down there, but I digress. If OP would write some more background or give more information on why he doesn't reach the depth needed perhaps we could assist better!
    Ok. I have not really understood the "more time to work on the technical parts" thought. It is very possible that form issues will not show themselves until the weight gets heavy. And regardless, warmup sets are a great time for that low weight "form work".

The reason I posted is because I also felt the same way as you guys, so I was just trying to confirm my mistakes by asking you guys for your opinions.

The the last workout session, I did 72.5kgx5x3 and actual hit a good depth in my opinion (though I need to stop looking at the mirror). By the way, I recorded ever single workout session starting from the 1st day. I'll post up the videos and ask you guys for your opinions.

Squat 72 5x5x3 - YouTube

This is a video of me doing 72.5kgx5x3.

To tell you guys the truth, I had a hard time making progress by the way as there have been many weak and strong days. One day, I may feel like the weights are damn heavy and couldn't hit my reps even though I rested 48 hours after the previous workout. So I decided to drop the workout altogether and do it the next day. By the next day, I'm surprised I'm able to do a lot better and the bar felt surprisingly light and my squats were strong. Today was the same, I try to do 75kg but with proper form as you corrected me today but only managed to get 2 reps. I sleep 8 hours a night and eat 3000kcal (50C/30P/20F) everyday and only do a 25 minute cardio session once a week. What would likely be the problem?
    Last edited by amos.lim100; 07-14-2016 at 08:48 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Last edited by amos.lim100; 07-14-2016 at 11:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast