starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Distal Bicep Tendons Rupture in Both Arms? Pain 10 out of 10

Unhappy Possible Distal Bicep Tendons Rupture in Both Arms? Pain 10 out of 10

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    After being out of training for about 6 weeks I was back in the gym a few days ago and did 3x5 of squats, bent rows and bench press. I wanted to finish up with some HIIT arm training and did 3 sets to failure curls followed by one set of pullups to failure while holding myself at the top of the bar while I lowered only by the failure of my muscles. Next I moved to triceps and did a similar workout followed with dips to failure.

3 days later (what feels like) my bicep distal tendons (near forearms) on both arms are wrecked. The initial DOMS had gone away everywhere except where my distal tendons attach at my forearm muscle. Externally rotating my extended arms is excruciating. Yes its on both arms and the pain is equal and in the exact spot. It feels like it may be the outside distal bicep tendons. I cant straighten/externally rotate my arms without squealing like a little girl. I've never had bicep/forearm issues. Ive recently had right elbow issues from not tapping to an armbar until it popped where now it likes to tighten up and pop lately but hasnt interfered with lifting- but doubt this has to do with the biceps issues.

Should I start with light high rep bicep work daily keeping an eye on the pain, hoping for it to gradually get better? How many days should I wait to start this? Pain is close to 10/10

Or should I see an sports orthopedic for an MRI?

TL;DR : Think I strained or possibly tore bicep tendons on both arms. The pain is bad. Should I do light high rep work asap or see a Dr?
    Last edited by ryanmac0911; 05-07-2015 at 02:28 PM.

There is no way it's anywhere close to 10/10

Watching while Bigfoot slowly dines on your liver (with or without a side of fava beans): 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    There is no way it's anywhere close to 10/10
    Its pretty close when extending/ externally rotating arm. Im walking around with my arms slightly bent because its excruciating to straighten/rotate

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    Watching while Bigfoot slowly dines on your liver (with or without a side of fava beans): 10/10
    Ha I would almost rather watch that happen!

But seriously any suggestions? Pain has slightly decreased. I feel like my tendons are either strained or ruptured

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmac0911 View Post
    Its pretty close when extending/ externally rotating arm. Im walking around with my arms slightly bent because its excruciating to straighten/rotate
    Sounds like a 6 from here, but that's not germane to the discussion. If it's that bad, go get an MRI.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmac0911 View Post
    some HIIT arm training
    . . . ^ this. . . . this is not a thing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    It is if you wear an elevation training mask while you bang arms. Get with the program, MBasic.

If it were really anywhere near a 10, you wouldn't be capable of posting silly questions on the internet. You'd have either lost consciousness or be too busy writhing in agony and contemplating suicide.

The fact you insist it's near a 10 makes it hard to take anything else you say seriously.

If it's honestly 10, call an ambulance. Get yourself on suicide watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    A tabata type of session of standing curls with super slow reps for 20 seconds of intense work followed by 10 seconds of rest for 8 rounds is most definitley HIIT that targets the arms. Are you saying it not possible to do a high intensity interval training workout for arms?

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    If it were really anywhere near a 10, you wouldn't be capable of posting silly questions on the internet. You'd have either lost consciousness or be too busy writhing in agony and contemplating suicide.

The fact you insist it's near a 10 makes it hard to take anything else you say seriously.

If it's honestly 10, call an ambulance. Get yourself on suicide watch.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I recently lost my dad to suicide so that kind of stung but you didnt know so no worries.

All im saying is it really hurts near my forearm bicep tendons. If theyre not ruptured theyre strained. Can I do a high rep light weight daily workout (adding some weight each day) to rehab both arms or should I not start any protocol before an MRI?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I've ruptured a distal biceps tendon. At work. I finished the day. I was diagnosed via X-ray at the ER with an elbow sprain. A couple of days later when I noticed I couldn't rotate my left hand well and my biceps was just flopping around in my upper arm, I decided to go to a doctor who diagnosed the possible rupture. MRI confirmed and was in surgery within a few days.

Can you rotate your wrists?

You need a few days off.

Don't do stupid things like "HIIT Biceps/Triceps".
    Its very painful to rotate my wrists outwards. By this I mean something like turning a doorknob or facing my palms up. Even worse if my arm is straightened while doing it.

The pain isnt as hardcore as it was initially but Im worried since all other muscle soreness is gone besides this intense tendon pain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast