starting strength gym

Thread: my first fail

Default my first fail

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    57yo SS novice, 5'10, 175.

Despite the drama about back spasm during a set, discussed ad nauseam here, i went ahead with my workout yesterday. To address my concern about back spasm, I wore the belt for my final warm up set, as well as work sets, and focused intently on keeping my core tight.

This was a big day for me, my first 200lb squat, and I was psyched. I have been doing 2x per week, going up 5lb each time.

But... I had my first fail. My first set went pretty well. I concentrated solely on tight core, my depth was right without me thinking about it. I worked very hard to get the weight up, and on one rep this led me to teeter forward a little.

My second set (after probably a 10 min rest) felt heavy. The first three reps went well, but, after the third, I simply could not continue. I was totally worn out. I racked it, walked away, took a 15 second breather, and then did the other two reps.

I took another long break before my third set. This time I de-racked, and then put that sucker right back on the rack. No way I was gonna be able to do that set. I took 30 pounds off, and still, no way.

I also had my first fail on press (85lb). First set, I couldn't raise the final rep. The other two sets I managed to squeeze all reps in.

I have three theories to explain yesterday's fail:
    1) the previous workout, at 195, was the day of the back spasm, and my depth was short an inch. Yesterday, first set, my depth was good, so I had to work really really hard to get the bar up. I had increased both weight and depth. It just wore me out.

2) it was just a bad day, for unknown reasons

3) i had slowed my calories down a little bit because my wife was not happy with my belly.

Regardless of why it happened, my current thinking is that 200 was too heavy for me. I am not sure my body is really keeping up with the 10lb per week increment. I don't like doing sets that are at my absolute limit. I like working hard, but that seemed too much.

I am thinking about calling 200 an accomplishment, and going into what will be for me early intermediate. I am thinking about deloading back to, say, 180, and then maybe only advancing the 5lb once per week.

The final goal I have set for myself is 225lb squat (though, when I get there, I might revise that).

Changing my programming to this slower rate will slow that down, but I don't care. I'd rather sneak up on it slowly and confidently than rush things.

Thoughts?

Given your most recent workout was traumatic with the back spasm, I don't think that its very surprising that you had a fail with your squats. Did you actually complete your 3x5 at 195? If not, protocol is to repeat that weight, not increase. Same with your press. Also, what was your last load for press, 80? If the 5 lb jumps are difficult, you should be microloading, increasing by 2-3 lbs. Your reason 2) is probably the most frequent cause for failure, assuming recovery (sleep, nutrition, time) appears adequate. Failing is something that affects everyone, its part of the process. Given this is your first failure, I recommend that you keep on with the program, you may get all your reps next time. Also, fear is not good, and if you are tentative because of your recent back tweak, you might back off 5% to 10% and work back up to rebuild your confidence.

All that said, we older folks don't necessarily benefit from grinding away at near max weights for extended periods. If you really feel that you've eked out as much progress as possible on this program, it may be time to change. Do you have Practical Programming 3? Andy Baker's program for master's intermediates may work well for you (see p. 233).

I've had a bunch of 'fails' for a myriad of reasons, most of which I ascribe to being 51 and only getting schmaybe 5 hours of sleep on a good night. Thanks to a coaching session from Adam Skillin I'm doing a 3 day a week program that has allowed me to do exactly what your last line says: sneak up on it slowly and confidently than rush things. I tried rushing and blew my back out. Now I don't worry about bumping it up every week. Oh I certainly try, but if it ain't there it ain't there so no biggie; I'll just plug away and bump up my light and medium sessions slightly and try to do it next week. At my age I simply don't recover from injuries very well so I am in no rush to force my body to do things it isn't quite up for. I've managed to get my SQ from 165 in Feb to 245 this morning, and I couldn't be happier. Not the swiftest progression but at my stage it's great. I guess what I'm trying to babble is slow and steady: two steps forward and one step back still leaves you a step ahead of where you started so keep plugging!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGUsRGuZb6k
    Last edited by Mr. Bingley; 05-17-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sfischer View Post

I am thinking about calling 200 an accomplishment, and going into what will be for me early intermediate.
    Not until you try it again next week and crush it. You might not be "stuck" yet. And if you are stuck, try a reset first before moving to intermediate. p90 PPST

I had a bad chest cold recently and couldn't believe how much and how long it affected my squat and deadlift, so I wouldn't get discouraged if I were you. Give your back a chance to heal 100% before tackling a PR.

Quote Originally Posted by straynor View Post
    I had a bad chest cold recently and couldn't believe how much and how long it affected my squat and deadlift, so I wouldn't get discouraged if I were you. Give your back a chance to heal 100% before tackling a PR.
    I had a chest cold that developed into pneumonia this spring. Its taken me 5+ weeks to get back to PR levels after a layoff.

It doesn't sound like you actually failed, from your description of events. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear.

starting strength coach development program
    What Adam said. You managed the first set so you're strong enough to lift that weight, and as it's more than you've lifted before it's progress of a kind.

I've 'failed' like that quite a few times. At first it's kind of annoying - especially if you've psyched yourself up because you really want to make a specific weight 'just because' - but I've learned that a bit more rest plus backing off a touch and microloading carries me through it. It probably isn't even necessary to back off - except for psychological reasons - until you've failed the weight a couple more times.

Those chest colds are a real pain. I've got one and have missed a couple of training sessions, though I'm still doing heavy lifting at work which I've found to be remarkably easier than when I'm 100% well but beat up from training.