starting strength gym

Thread: Triples for Press, Novice

Default Triples for Press, Novice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been searching on these boards for quite a while and have come across instances of where people prolonged progress on their Press by switching to either 5x3 or 3x3. However I still haven't been able to deduct a clear cut answer as to if the approach works well for SS (these threads are pretty old).

So, would it be beneficial to program 5x3 (setsxreps) for the Press rather than 3x5, if you feel that it would prolong your gains? I feel as if I can get a few more sessions of 5lb increases in if I do triples rather than microloading with 3x5.

Anyone have any related thoughts/experiences to share?

idk...wouldn't the 5 lb jumps at 5x3 end faster than the 2.5lb jumps at 3x5 but end up at the same weight at the end either way?

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    idk...wouldn't the 5 lb jumps at 5x3 end faster than the 2.5lb jumps at 3x5 but end up at the same weight at the end either way?
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean.. you can lift more weight with triples, and can add an additional 2 sets to make up the volume.. and when it gets really heavy, you can drop to 3 sets because they'll tax your recovery less.

Try it and see.

stonerider Guest

worst case scenario is that it doesn't increase your strength at the end of your progression, only the length of your progression

if you're not in a rush or anything, go for it