starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soreness in quads during workout

Default Soreness in quads during workout

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    A little background on me.. I'm 6'4 237lb, ~12% bodyfat. two years of training history. I am doing linear progression on my squats because I had a bilateral knee injury that prevented me from squatting for nearly two years. Now, I am doing 3x a week increasing 5lbs each time @ 3x5. My last workout was 255x3x5. On the last two sets, it seems like I have such a painful pump or soreness in my quads that it throws every rep off. Any way around this? I don't think it's a recovery issue. It just feels like I am training a muscle that has just been slaughtered, even though I am taking a day off between. I am eating 5,500 calories per day, calculated pretty precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallH1989 View Post
    A little background on me.. I'm 6'4 237lb, ~12% bodyfat. two years of training history. I am doing linear progression on my squats because I had a bilateral knee injury that prevented me from squatting for nearly two years. Now, I am doing 3x a week increasing 5lbs each time @ 3x5. My last workout was 255x3x5. On the last two sets, it seems like I have such a painful pump or soreness in my quads that it throws every rep off. Any way around this? I don't think it's a recovery issue. It just feels like I am training a muscle that has just been slaughtered, even though I am taking a day off between. I am eating 5,500 calories per day, calculated pretty precisely.
    Maybe relevant:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=11279

are you squatting deep enough? when I squat high my quads get super sore.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    are you squatting deep enough? when I squat high my quads get super sore.
    in addition, make sure to keep your knees out. my quads always got destroyed when my knees caved in.
    Last edited by mattciupak; 10-26-2011 at 06:48 PM.

If this is similar to what I had in the past, the only way to solve it was to foam roll vigorously (and by foam rolling I mean rolling with a PVC pipe or a rolling pin, which is what I did).

Where in your quads? Not that I know anything, but it might be useful to the folks around here who actually do.

It's the top of the quad, the Vastus medius I think, not lateralis... I'm trying to do some stretching and foam rolling and see if that helps. My legs have gotten hyoooooge since starting squatting again, so all of this new muscle tissue could be the problem. I am definitely squatting deep enough, every single rep. Always below parallel.

I agree with Carlos, roll and stretch like crazy. If you can find a specific spot, trade the pipe for a lacrosse ball or baseball. You may also want to evaluate your protein intake. I tend to be more sore with the less I get.

I'm new to all this. Any good resource on foam rolling that I can read? how to properly do it, what to use, etc? I just started squatting and I noticed my muscles are so stiff as if there's a piece of wood under my skin.

starting strength coach development program
    Get yourself a rolling pin or a pvc pipe. Lay down belly down on the floor. Put the cylindrical object in question between your quad and the floor. Start rolling until you find a place that hurts (you'll know). When you find it, keep it there until either one minute passes or it stops hurting (it usually stops hurting first). Do this you can't find any sore spots anymore.

Send me presents afterwards.

For other bodyparts (back, shoulders), use a tennis ball or lacrosse ball and a wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast