starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeling like failing but not

Default feeling like failing but not

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    In the past I have had a good idea of what I can do. Lately, I feel like I am going to fail on the next rep every time. Anybody have an idea why this might be. I think it might be because I have been doing a sub-maximal weight for so long that my ability is above what I am doing and that I don't remember what it is like to actually work hard. Any thoughts?

Are you talking about a specific lift, or all of your lifts? What does your routine look like? Are you using a fixed set/rep scheme, or is it flexible? If you don't train close to maximal loads, at least periodically, you don't maintain your max strength.

It could be because you're finally learning what it is to work hard. People rarely have any idea about what hard work really feels like.

But, and, so, you know: as you get stronger and more efficient, you become more able to tap the depths of your ability. Just because you weren't working as hard when you were weaker didn't mean you had levels available to you at that time that you weren't tapping.

Anyway. Just work hard, man.

Sorry I should have been more revealing in my routine and the exact natuer of what Im describing.This is only in the squat. I am currently doing SS again. I am at 215 in the lift. I had done it previously ending in early july with worksets at 265 when I quit. I have within the last six months realy just done cleans, snatches, and one handed snatches (which I did as part of my self constructed program for about 1.5 months until I realized I had gained too much weight and dropped down to 150 from 175 for boxing. I did thast for a a few months and realized I was not making much ground, was still paying for a previous surgery from a broken jaw, and didnt want to get punched in the face any more. I started SS again about 2 weeks ago. I replaced power cleans with cleans. I occasionally throw a jerk in. My lifts are as following for sets of 5 except clean for sets of 3:
    squat-215
    dl- 245 (super easy probably can do closer to 275)
    press- 110
    bench-165 (probably can do more just been slacking a little)
    c&j- 175
    body weight-155

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    It could be because you're finally learning what it is to work hard. People rarely have any idea about what hard work really feels like.

But, and, so, you know: as you get stronger and more efficient, you become more able to tap the depths of your ability. Just because you weren't working as hard when you were weaker didn't mean you had levels available to you at that time that you weren't tapping.

Anyway. Just work hard, man.
    I was kind of just thinking the same thing. My pull seems strong but I think I lack in the leg strength department and working hard doing that is kind of a foreign feeling as it ahs been a while.

personally when my squat sets got above 3 plates, i started feeling it in every muscle fiber in my body.. notably my calves, as they were previously left out of the equation. at first it was kind of overwhelming, but just bang out the set and your balls and mental fortitude will progress along with your strength

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty9 View Post
    squat-215
    dl- 245 (super easy probably can do closer to 275)
    press- 110
    bench-165 (probably can do more just been slacking a little)
    c&j- 175
    body weight-155
    please say you are 5'3"

You must have missed the fact I was playing a weight class sport up until about 3 weeks ago at which time I started gaining 2 pounds per week. I think those are pretty decent numbers since out of those three weeks two I had pnuemonia and I have only been actually lifting for a week. But I guess you probably think that everyone should gain 10 pounds a week and deadlift 400 pounds a week back into training. But to answer your query im 5'6".
    Last edited by Rusty9; 12-05-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: I didnt answer the height issue

Squat seems to be the most mentally weird lift. I guess it's something about having the bar on your back, and if you fail you have to figure out how the hell you get out from under it.

So yeah, I've gotten psyched out by squats before. As long as you are progressing and not shying away from adding to the bar, you should be fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    Squat seems to be the most mentally weird lift. I guess it's something about having the bar on your back, and if you fail you have to figure out how the hell you get out from under it.

So yeah, I've gotten psyched out by squats before. As long as you are progressing and not shying away from adding to the bar, you should be fine.
    I think you definitely nailed some of it there. If you try for a heavy deadlift and fail you either won't get the bar off the ground or you'll drop it a few inches off the ground.

If you fail in a squat you are bailing a bar off your shoulders and it is going to come crashing down.
    I find myself getting psyched out by the thought of failing on my squats lately, especially because I've never dumped weight onto my homemade rack.

I also don't quite know what to do if a squat turns into a good morning and I have to bail it. Do I lean forward and let it roll over my head? Either way, there is just something daunting about having that weight right on top of you and knowing that there's going to be a big crash if you bail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast