starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belted DL

Default Belted DL

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm new to training with a belt. I feel like it offers a lot of help on squat and overhead press, but nothing on Bench. I feel like it gets in my way while DL'ing. Anyone else feel the same? Its 13mm thickess.

Some people must feel the same way as there are special belts for dead and bench which are narrower in the front and back respectively.

http://www.bobsbelts.com/belts.htm

I've never heard of tapered belts for deadlift. I know a few that use the belt for bench, never asked them why.

I have to wear my belt differently for DL. I wear it higher on my back and lower on the belly than when I am squatting. I have a 10mm belt though so I don't know if that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    I have to wear my belt differently for DL. I wear it higher on my back and lower on the belly than when I am squatting. I have a 10mm belt though so I don't know if that will help.
    Me too. But a different belt?

Pretty much what Carlos and William said. I push the front of the belt down and keep it higher on my back. This allows me to get into position much more easily. It takes time to grow accustomed to it, especially if you are pulling for reps. I don't think I'd buy a belt specifically for the pull, especially not one valued at $114. I'm sure it's a fine belt, but I'm getting along just fine with the standard 10 mm Inzer belt.

My two cents worth:
    I never use a belt for bench. The only use I am familiar with is for equipped competition lifters to anchor the bench shirt.
    A new belt is likely very stiff, and may soften up some with use.
    A 13mm belt is, IMHO, for big guys moving very big weights. My 10mm belt is more than enough.
    My belt position for squats and DLs do not really vary much
    YMMV

I'll try going lower in the front and higher on the back when I DL tomorrow. Other than that, is the 3mm between belts enough to make a difference on DL setup? Meaning how much it gets in the way??

I never DL in a belt. Gets in the way. I can barely dead lift without the belt. Got to lose some fat.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't like using my leather belt for deadlifting. I use a velcro one instead. It doesn't interfere like the bigger belt does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast