starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift/Press Check

Default Deadlift/Press Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip - This is another request for the Guru to check things out.

Deads
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiXX6...ayer_embedded#!

The 350# set of deads in the attached video is a PR. My concerns are neck postion #1 and back angle #2 (although my back always looks the same even on light sets)

Presses
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id3g8...layer_embedded

After reading an article by Bill Starr here at SS.com, I have been trying to pattern my Press form after his comments and pictures from that article. The form is different than what you teach in Starting Strength. That said, Starr says that rather than leaning back to start one should instead push the pelvis forward into what I perceive to be a boomerang body shape. Anyways, what insight can you render after checking the video.

Thank you for all that you do.

Your deadlifts need a little more focus on extending your lumbar spine. The bar comes off the floor with an increasing amount of flexion each rep. Your presses are push presses. This is important to understand: lean back from the hips to start the bar up rather than bending the knees.

Have you tried using the stretch reflex on your presses by going up immediately after going down? On all but the first rep, I find it makes it way easier to finish a set.

Looks like you're trying to jerk the deadlift off of the floor. Take all of the slack out of your arms and back first, then squeeze the bar off of the floor.