starting strength gym

Thread: 3 months in-failed at 215 squat

Default 3 months in-failed at 215 squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    i believe i am around 3 months into training SS.(no more than 3.5/no less than2.95 months). i have put at least 5 lbs on the bar on every exercise(except cleans) at every workout. the only workout i have missed was last workout because of 4th of july. i have only gone out drinking once since i started. i give myself lots of time to sleep( its been far from perfect though). i have not missed a meal although probably could have eatin a little more in the past 2 weeks. absolutely cannot drink milk. i also train martial arts 2 times a week which is pretty rigorous.

tonights squat has been the first exercise i have failed on. out of my 215 3x5 i barely got the first set, waited 3 mins, failed on the 4th rep of 2nd set. waited few more minutes failed on the third rep of third set.

all the exercises are getting close to failing

stats: 5'11"

168-170lbs up from 153lbs
    13% bf now up to 16%

lifts as of today all repping 3x5 except deads:

press: 90
    bench press: 145(would be 150 if it wasnt for missing last workout)
    squat: completed 210/ failed 215 today
    deadlift: 225(actually easier than i thought. the hardest part was keeping my grip cause i do double overhand)
    clean: 90lbs. this has been a hard exercise for me to do. no bumper plates only metal

according to lon kilgores performance standards charthttp://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm)
    i am repping close to novice levels 1RM and for squat i am over it.

1)what should i do now?

2)am i failing too early?

3) how long can i expect to be able to do deads with a double overhand grip?

i believe bench, and press will soon follow. today is my "friday" of the program; i will now have 2 days off until i return back to the gym.

Had you started your squats on the program with the empty bar, you would be stronger than this on 5 lb. jumps, since 3 months = ~36 workouts x 5 = 180 + 45 = 225.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Had you started your squats on the program with the empty bar, you would be stronger than this on 5 lb. jumps, since 3 months = ~36 workouts x 5 = 180 + 45 = 225.
    come to think of it i have missed two workouts total. i may be off a little on how many total workouts i have done or exactly how long i have been training. but i still stalled and i know for the majority of my workouts i have added at least 5 pounds.

ej, buddy, YNDTP.

Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    come to think of it i have missed two workouts total. i may be off a little on how many total workouts i have done or exactly how long i have been training. but i still stalled and i know for the majority of my workouts i have added at least 5 pounds.
    and 34 exercises starting with just the bar comes out to 215. i think my estimates are pretty darn good. if not exact after losing 2 workouts

i also forgot to add in my original post that i do pull ups as well. they have lingered around 1x13 or 14, 1x5 or 6, and 1x4 or 5. all done to failure

i am also 23 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    YNDTP.
    unaware of what this means

Check your training journal.

unaware of what this means
    Read Rip's article in the Resources call "A Clarification". Your question will be answered.

starting strength coach development program
    And my bit of help for you:
    YNDTP = You're Not Doing the Program.