starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method reset question

Default Texas Method reset question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

I've been running a TM for 6 weeks now and my bench is stalled on both Monday and Friday with my 1RM at 260. I failed today's monday workout of 232 for 5x5 with 232x2x5, then 1x4, 1x4, and 1x3.

I was going to do a 10% decrease and work back up. I have two questions:

1. Do I just do a 10% decrease of weight for Monday's workout only or do I also do it on Friday's PR day and work back up on that day too?

2. I just started using fractional plates with today's workout because I noticed last Monday, I was getting totally gassed with my 5x5 and figured it'd be best to do a 2lbs jump the next week (today) rather than a 5lbs jump, my question is on Monday's with the 10% decrease in workset weight, should I make 5 lbs jumps again until I reach today's weight I was stuck at or 2 lbs jumps?

Thanks coach.

1. If you're stuck on both, you'll reset them both.

2. The big jumps are why you are stuck, most likely, if you're sure you're resting enough between sets and all other recovery parameters are under control. Go back up using the small plates and see what happens.

Yes I'm sure my rest is good to go. I eat enough to feed a small family and get a good 7-9 hours of sleep a night. I'll reset both and make 2 lbs jumps rather than 5 lbs per week. Thanks Coach.