starting strength gym

Thread: Athlete training for sept ( HERES THE PLAN)

Default Athlete training for sept ( HERES THE PLAN)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Basketball season starts in sept and tryouts start in august. Im posting this for a good friend and here is the plan.

Stats:
    18years 6ft2 205lbs 14-15 bf%

He is a noob and Im thinkin he should do...

-Rippetoes until march. (Strength )
    -Lose bf% work endurance march-may ( Conditioning) 2months
    -Work explosiveness and jumping June-august( Plyometrics) 2months

Does this sound good, if not what should we do? If you can recommend a better plan please tell me.

It sounds like you are about to have him waste April through August.

Andy?

Well Im planning to stop around march since I figured if hes trying to gain endurance and does plyos it would interfere with SS and also would overtrain him.

I'm assuming that between now and August he will be playing/practicing basketball on a regular basis. If so, then that pretty much takes care of his conditioning....if he's in high school then I'm sure his coaches have already started running them into the ground with shuttle runs, etc. If this is the case, then it is unnecessary and counterproductive to set aside an additional block of time, dedicated to endurance training.

If he is 18 yrs old, playing basketball, and lifting weights he should not be fat unless his diet is way out of whack.

Plyos are not needed if he is novice, as getting his deadlift, clean, and squat stronger will greatly enhance is ability to jump, cut, run, etc.

Get on SS as soon as possible and stick with that until it runs its course. If he is playing a shitload of basketball then you may not be able to run the program 3 x week as laid out in the later weeks/months as there will just be too much fatigue on the lowerbody. Good news is that SS works at twice a week as well so just do what you can. If you've ever seen me you'd know that I wasn't cut out for basketball.

Moral of the story is this:

Keep playing sport + Get Stronger = Better Player

Quote Originally Posted by KSC View Post
    I'm assuming that between now and August he will be playing/practicing basketball on a regular basis. If so, then that pretty much takes care of his conditioning....if he's in high school then I'm sure his coaches have already started running them into the ground with shuttle runs, etc. If this is the case, then it is unnecessary and counterproductive to set aside an additional block of time, dedicated to endurance training.

If he is 18 yrs old, playing basketball, and lifting weights he should not be fat unless his diet is way out of whack.

Plyos are not needed if he is novice, as getting his deadlift, clean, and squat stronger will greatly enhance is ability to jump, cut, run, etc.

Get on SS as soon as possible and stick with that until it runs its course. If he is playing a shitload of basketball then you may not be able to run the program 3 x week as laid out in the later weeks/months as there will just be too much fatigue on the lowerbody. Good news is that SS works at twice a week as well so just do what you can. If you've ever seen me you'd know that I wasn't cut out for basketball.

Moral of the story is this:

Keep playing sport + Get Stronger = Better Player
    Thx for the help, year hes not fat, about 15%bf and hes in his first year of college but will be playing next year. He hasnt played ball for almost a year from a ankle injury so he lost alot of endurance and thats y I wanted to do a condioniting month or 2 and also the plyos is because his ankle got injured and he cant jump has high as he used(still dunk but not like before). He plays basketball regularly but im going to tell him to play with intensity on his off days of rippetoes and lightly on his workout days.

starting strength coach development program
    He can't jump high because he lost strength in his legs/hips due to not using them during his injury and recovery. So no matter what the cause, getting his legs stronger will increase his jumping ability more than plyometrics.