starting strength gym

Thread: Should I be pressing more?

Default Should I be pressing more?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Since switching to the TM, I'm only pressing on recovery day rather then every other workout as in SS. I still do 3 heavy sets of 5 on that day, and I try to increase weight every week, but I'm not sure if maybe I should be doing more OH pressing.

My routine is:

monday - volume
    squat
    bench
    power clean
    pull-ups/chin-ups
    abs

wednesday - recovery
    squat
    OH press
    Good mornings
    abs

Friday - Intensity
    squat
    bench
    Deadlift
    pull-ups/chinups
    abs

You'll probably ask what exactly my goals are. Well, honestly my goals are just to get as strong as possible in all the 5 main lifts. I'm just not sure if I'm not doing enough OH pressing to achieve this goal.

I could switch my volume and intensity days to the OH press instead of bench, but I'd like to get a strong bench press as well, so that option is out.

I also thought about alternating bench and OH press every other week (one week train for the press, next week train for the bench press, and alternate the two). But I didn't really like the sounds of that since 2 weeks seems like a pretty long time to make an increase in weight.

Basically it seems as if I would have to choose to either specifically train the bench press or the OH press (once on Vol. day and once on Intensity day), for maximum results.

Of course I could always do both presses every workout, but I think that would be a little too much stuff each workout.

I'm sure you have dealt with this situation before. What do you suggest? Keep things the way they are?

Thanks a lot!

Why don't you alternate the weeks, benching twice one week and pressing twice the next week, doing the other lift on Wed. Or you could do the program you describe for 6-8 weeks and then reverse the emphasis for 6-8 weeks, bring each lift up periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Or you could do the program you describe for 6-8 weeks and then reverse the emphasis for 6-8 weeks, bring each lift up periodically.
    Ya know, I never thought about doing that. I think I like this idea. Thanks.