starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What weight to start with and expectations

Default What weight to start with and expectations

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I need to have around a 230x5x3 squat by February 23. (I'll do everything Obv but that's the main benchmark I need to reach)

Rn my 5 rep max for squats is around 155-170

What weight should I start at? Is it realistic to get to 200 ish weight by sets in about 6-8 weeks?

I'm planning to start at 100 pounds. Is that too high? I'm going at either 90-100, but I would much rather start at 100.

Realistically if I follow the program completely, can I get to around 200 pounds in 6 weeks? Or 230 in 10? (Working weight)

I'm 160 pounds and 6ft, but I'm almost a complete novice when it comes to lifting

If I start at 95, do I go up by 10 pounds every workout until I can't and have to only do 5 pound jumps or only for 2 weeks, it said its unsustainable at a point so wouldn't that mean wh it gets hard?

But what can I expect for my squat and my body weight when I'm done with the program?

Rn it's this

160 pounds body weight

170 pounds 5 rep max

So should I start at 100 pounds? And keep on going with 10 pound increases till I can't? The book says go for 2 weeks, but it says it becomes unsustainable too, so wouldn't that mean just go until I fail the last rep of a 10 pound increase (it also said at one point, he might fail the last rep, where he will switch to 5 pound increases)

my squat went from 135 pounds 1rm to 170 pounds 5rpmx from doing 110 pound squats of 5 cuz my dad wouldn't let me get any higher for like a month, so I think I'm still having the novice effect
    Last edited by Derem; 11-02-2016 at 08:44 AM.

No one can answer these questions for you. Depends on your form, compliance to the program, compliance to your diet, sleep, genetics...

Follow the advice in the book when it comes to picking your starting weights.

Age?

Why the rush? Do you own a copy of SS or have you looked for an SS coach in your area?

The book lays out how to determine ideal starting weights. A coach will also be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    No one can answer these questions for you. Depends on your form, compliance to the program, compliance to your diet, sleep, genetics...

Follow the advice in the book when it comes to picking your starting weights.
    I can't find the page, it should be under programming right? It just says take 10 pound jumps which is why I'm asking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Derem View Post
    I can't find the page, it should be under programming right? It just says take 10 pound jumps which is why I'm asking here.
    It's at the end of the chapter titled "Learning to Squat".

Let me make it more clear cuz my first post was crappy lol

I need to get to Do working sets (5x3) of 240 squat by feb 23. Preferably, I could get to just 210-225 in 6 weeks.

My current 5 rep max is at 160 to 170 pounds (I did 3 sets of 5 reps of 32.5kg on each side of the bar, but idk how much the bar weighed, but I wasn't testing my max and I could probably have added a bit more so roughly 160 pounds-170 pounds)

So considering that, would it be ok to start at 100 pounds? And do I do 10 pound jumps per excercise until I fail once or until 2 weeks?

i can't find the page where it shows what weight to start at in the book (3rd edition) also for the jumps I don't understand what it's saying, it says something like "after 1-2 weeks this jump will be unsustainable" so I'm not sure if that means go until I can't jump by that much or just go for 1-2 weeks (because 6 sessions would still not hit my max if I start at 100 pounds)

I'm a novice lifter with decent genetics (nothing out of this world but I'm def pretty sure my squat gains weight at least a bit above average speed)

6ft 15 years old

I'm def willing to follow the diet, and I can get 6-7-8 hours of sleep a night (but do naps count?)

basically here's my main questions

For a maximum of 170 pounds, is 100 pounds a good place to start? Or should I go down to 90 (bar doesent slow down until 100 pounds, but by then it's a but noticeabley slower and i don't want to start too high, but at the same time starting at 80-90 would be too low because I really really have to hit 230 by feb 23, and I definitely want to hit 200 in about 6 weeks. Can't find where it says what weight to start with in the book third edition, I went to programming but can someone tell me the page because i can't find it)

Should I do 10 pound jumps until I feel it's no longer possible/I fail a rep on the last set? Or should I just go until the end of the second week?

Is it a realistic goal to hit 200 pounds for working sets in 6-8 weeks? Assuming I miss no more than 2-3 workouts this entire 6-8 weeks

What can I expect my squat to be by February 23? Assuming I stuck with the program about as much as the average dedicated individual, I have decent genetics, I'm nearly a complete novice, and I followed diet? (Starting at 90-100 pounds)

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    It's at the end of the chapter titled "Learning to Squat".
    thanks, I found it, but im still confused.

I mean following what it says, wouldn't I just be able to start at super near my max then? (Obv I'm not gonna say what it says cuz I guess that's copy right and stuff)

Basically here's what I mean. Should the first workout feel really easy, or really hard, because going with what the book says I don't understand what it means.

I can squat until my butt cheeks are less than the width of an iPhone 7 away from the floor with 120 pounds, so should I go with 120 pounds?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Derem View Post
    thanks, I found it, but im still confused.

I mean following what it says, wouldn't I just be able to start at super near my max then? (Obv I'm not gonna say what it says cuz I guess that's copy right and stuff)

Basically here's what I mean. Should the first workout feel really easy, or really hard, because going with what the book says I don't understand what it means.

I can squat until my butt cheeks are less than the width of an iPhone 7 away from the floor with 120 pounds, so should I go with 120 pounds?
    No need to squat ass to grass.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast