starting strength gym

Thread: when to come back from injury

Default when to come back from injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ive read that you should not come back after lower back injury until it is healed so that you dont have chronic back problems. Ive also read you should come back when you have the strength to lift, even if it still feels injured. I was just finishing the novice portion and about to start intermediate 5x5 M-Legs W-Press F-Pull. Gonna have to start back over at novice now ive been out a couple months. Bad low back strain due to poor deadlift form. I have trouble doing heavy deads following heavy squats in the same day.

Anyway, im sure almost everyone has had back issues at some point. How do you know when to get back to it? is more rest better or does more rest just de-train you and keep the injury slower to heal?

By the way I really like the program. i went from a 135lb 5rpm squat to a 275lb 5rpm in a year.

If it's a strain, then you come back and start lifting lightly with perfect form as soon as you can. Don't lift through searing blinding pain, but you don't have to be 100% pain free either. You progress conservatively and you'll MAKE your back heal up faster.

That being said - be sure it's a strain. If you have lots of pain weeks after the injury - get it looked at.