starting strength gym

Thread: Cheat curls n shi'

Default Cheat curls n shi'

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    There is a similar thread like this, but it's pretty old and I was wondering if anybody currently does these?

They look way more fun than regular curls, the same way Kroc rows are more fun / feel better than strict DB rows. It also looks like it would carry over to weighted chins.

I don't currently do them, but I have done them in the past. I think curling is a legit lift, and I don't know why it gets shit on here all the time. Old strongmen could curl ALOT, and even early powerlifting competitions had curls in them.

Since Derek does strongman lifting, having a good curl is important. Sometimes you have to be able to power those objects up with brute strength. I would stil be doing heavy curling, but for some reason it hurts my right shoulder when I curl real heavy. Since I am just powerlifting, I don't need to focus on it. If it was doing strongman, I would find a way to get them done. I just do slow reps with dumbbells for curls right now.

But yes, they are legit, and they do work.

I fell in love with curls at an early age, but I rarely do them anymore. For some reason I get some numbness in my hands when I do curls, but I don't get it when I do chin-ups.

Maybe I should re-try the cambered bars. It's just that I did a lot of cambered bar and hammer style dumbbell curls in highschool and they seemed to benefit my forearms more than anything. Not that that is a bad thing. I'm just one of those thick forearm/ thick calves kind of guys genetically.

That is exactly the way I curl. Except his last 4 or 5 got a bit sloppy.

I've done 140 for 25 or 30 reps when I was feeling a bit froggy, now I guess I have a new goal to shoot for! A while back I mentioned I'd like to get 160x20, looks like my goal is 160x31! Without just dropping the weight at the end though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    That is exactly the way I curl. Except his last 4 or 5 got a bit sloppy.

I've done 140 for 25 or 30 reps when I was feeling a bit froggy, now I guess I have a new goal to shoot for! A while back I mentioned I'd like to get 160x20, looks like my goal is 160x31! Without just dropping the weight at the end though.....

thats a fair amount of weight a fair number of times

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Zahn View Post
    thats a fair amount of weight a fair number of times
    Yeah, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Looking back through my logs I found where I've done 145x25 a couple different times when we were having a bit of a shoot-out and there was a fair bit of excitement going on in the ol' weight room. Plus, I curled 200x1 a few weeks back without any real work preparing for it, just a lazy day and didn't really feel like doing what was scheduled....

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    They look way more fun than regular curls, the same way Kroc rows are more fun / feel better than strict DB rows. It also looks like it would carry over to weighted chins.
    If you want them to carry over to chins, would be better to use a straight bar.

the event "Bros vs Pros' looks like a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    That is exactly the way I curl.
    Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    If you want them to carry over to chins, would be better to use a straight bar.
    Yeah, I use a straight bar for curls. I never really used dumbbells for curls before, and after reading rip's logic on straight bar curls I just do those all the time when I curl.

and that event does look quite fun

starting strength coach development program
    The flying plates at the end were a nice surprise.