starting strength gym

Thread: Another squat form check

Default Another squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

I would like to kindly ask for some help on my squat form. I saw an opportunity to film some of my squat sets. The gym is crowded and have no chance for a back angle, so I really apologies that it's just the side view recorded. Though, coincidentally, I think it's the side from where my major technique issue(s) can be spotted from (I know spar recommends a separate video for each set, each set, and I shall get it next time), but I am leaving that up to you for now.

I am a 185cm 79-80kg (~6'1", 173 pounds) and gaining.

Here is a playlist http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDED8CA38158084E6
    with all 6 short videos, 5x5 with 60kg and 1x5 with 70kg, all trimmed and just the squatting included. I would really appreciate a general feedback on the major issues which I am aware that I have them.

Thanks a ton for your time, much appreciate it.

Incredibly easy sets, it seemed. I would consider slowing down the descent a bit. And your knees come forward for the entire movement, whereas the SS way is for them to be set about 1/3 down.

But all in all - in the absence of pain or other issues - I wouldn't be worried at all, just keep adding weight to the bar and to the scale, and try to set your knees a bit better/earlier. Knees out/sit back sometimes work as cues for this.

Thanks for the reply DV, appreciate it. The (excess) forward knee travel is the only major issue I would like to correct it right now before moving on. Hence the use of lighter-than-usual weight in order to get down the movement pattern, so to speak. I'll keep at it, thanks again.

Forward knee travel seems to be an extremely common form "flaw" lately. Try a TUBOW perhaps, it seems to help people.

In general it's best to post your heavy sets, as form flaws become more apparent when the weight is challenging. I.e. my right knee loves to wobble around a bit, but won't do so noticeably until 120-130 kg.