starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder impingement that doesn't heal

Default Shoulder impingement that doesn't heal

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey Coach,

I'm 18 / male / press: 160lbs x 5
    My shoulder has been giving me trouble for a whole year now. Here is what I've tried so far:
    - Ibuprofen
    - Ice
    - only pressing, no benching, for 4 months
    - pressing the empty barbell only
    - not training at all for a month
    - facepulls/ bandpullaparts
    The thing is that my shoulder is pretty mobile and there are no movement restrictions. That's why the doc says that there is no treatment for my problem. The shoulder usually doesn't hurt if I don't tax it.
    I just can't train.
    Any ideas on what to do?

The title of your post says "shoulder impingement." That doesn't mean what you think it means. Read the blue book.

Quote Originally Posted by zar9star View Post
    I just can't train.
    Any ideas on what to do?
    Don't train.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Don't train.
    There’s a brand of sarcasm on this forum that can elude the incautious. Don’t be that guy zar9star. At age 18, I’d urge you to seek the deeper meaning into Will’s advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    There’s a brand of sarcasm on this forum that can elude the incautious. Don’t be that guy zar9star. At age 18, I’d urge you to seek the deeper meaning into Will’s advice.
    I'll put it this way: I've treated and trained many dozens of people, with all manner of shoulder pathology, and I have yet to come across someone who could not press and bench press. If you want to hang up the cleats at 18, by all means, do just that. The laws of nature will certainly be kind to you for that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I'll put it this way: I've treated and trained many dozens of people, with all manner of shoulder pathology, and I have yet to come across someone who could not press and bench press.
    Will, I assumed this is what you were saying. I just wanted to make sure the young lad was in on the joke and didn’t think you were serious. I’ve treated many 18-year-old young men in my time. My own opinion is that they’re indestructible unless they engage in some injudicious, testosterone-induced hijinks. And that doesn’t include barbell training.

On the other hand they might not all have the same droll sense of humor as me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    The OP has been asking the same question for at least 2 years.