starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stall protocol

Default Stall protocol

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I've been looking around the forums for a consensus on what to do in the event of a true stall in progress (that is, can't finish the set on last rep). I'm 30, 5'11", about 145 lb., doing the novice program. On my 3rd week I'm lifting the following:

Sq 100
    DL 110
    BP 95
    Press 80

And I am currently stuck on the press. My last workout I was able to do 80 with a little difficulty. However I went to do my presses today, went up to 83 (I knew 85 would be really hard for me), and failed on last rep. So I took it down to 81.5 -- and still failed on last rep!

Now I understand that the only way to make progress is to go up every workout. How am I supposed to get past 80 if I can't do 81.5?? So what's the protocol: Do I stay at 80 for a few workouts or keep trying/possibly failing at 81.5?

If you don't make 5 reps for 3 sets then you just repeat the weight the next time you are scheduled to do the exercise. If this happens 3 times in a row ,i.e. at the same weight, then it's "a true stall" and you reset.

So you do 83, and if you don't get 3x5 you try it again next time. And if you still don't get all 15 reps, you try it again. Only then would you say you stalled.
    (Personally, i tend to give the pres specifically a few more attempts, but that's just me.)

(Did you ... read the book? search the site?
    "what is a stall" is addressed a good number of times. Though the SS book is a little vague on the specific protocol...)

edit: also, make sure you're incrementing your DL by 10lbs to get it out ahead of your squat. What specific program are you following ?
    Last edited by veryhrm; 03-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.

the press is funny. so many times if I fail at my work weight, I would also fail at my back off weight. The next time I came in I would do the back off weight and have no trouble. I've found I need to be really well rested for the press, much more so than other lifts. Also, don't be afraid to make smaller jumps to keep progressing.

Thanks guys. I did search around but there were different opinions on what to do. Some people were saying they were "stalled" when they could finish the rep, but just couldn't progress. So, good to have a real definition of 'stall' i.e. 3 failures in a row. And yes I read the book but didn't remember anything about that.

I don't know why, maybe it's my anthropometry, but I find the press really hard compared to the others.

The reason my DL is so close to my squat is because I didn't have a rack for a while, so I was cleaning the squat which made it harder. Now I have one so it should balance out.

Make sure you're not rushing. Take the time you need between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by ricepounder View Post
    The reason my DL is so close to my squat is because I didn't have a rack for a while, so I was cleaning the squat which made it harder. Now I have one so it should balance out.
    What?!?!

Also 5'11" 145lbs, make sure you are eating to gain. Must be doing the front snot.

Ha, sorry I meant the press. Didn't have a rack so I had to "clean" the bar from the floor up to my shoulders, which basically limited how much I could do. Same for the squat. The reason the DL is so close in weight to the squat is also because I stopped increasing the weight on my DLs after I experienced some low back pain. Felt good today though, so I will go on up after this.

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    Also 5'11" 145lbs, make sure you are eating to gain. Must be doing the front snot.
    Front snot?

You should have seen me before. I was 130 a few months ago. Gained 5 lbs already in the SS program.

starting strength coach development program
    Today was a sad day

5/30
    Squat-315x4
    Press-130x4
    Deadlift-325x4
    Chin-ups-15x5x4

After the failed attempt of 315, I didn't even want to be in the gym, felt like crap and kept thinking I'm going to fail the next set. I'll try these same weights on Tuesday, hopefully it'll be better with the extra rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast