starting strength gym

Thread: Deconditioning: From Triples to Higher Reps

Default Deconditioning: From Triples to Higher Reps

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I finished up my LP last week after a few weeks of 3x3s. I transitioned from this advanced novice phase into a H/L/M Strength/Hypertrophy set-up written by Coach Baker (LINK).

Just had my first Heavy Day yesterday and holy shit, the difference between 3x3s and 4x6s is absurd. I topped out my LP at 140kg yet for my first Heavy Day I was working at 110kg and it was surprisingly challenging.

I was anticipating being able to hit around 90% of my top LP weight (about 120-125kg) for volume but instead I'm down at around 80%. Is this an acceptable drop in weight given the volume increase?

Has anyone else experienced a sort of "deconditioning" effect after running a low volume block for a awhile and then transitioning back to higher volume?

Do you think including semi-regular conditioning/GPP work during lower volume periods would help maintain some of the adaptations one acquires after training with higher volume (I'm speaking of strength endurance here).

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I do 7's for accessory work with no belt. They suck bigtime until you adjust to them...and even then they still suck.

You'll get better with them in time. Also periodic :20/1:40 interval training (twice a week at most) will help out a lot.

You could try keeping triples for the heavy day and maybe add a backoff set for a few weeks, but keep the Light and Medium at sets of five to get used to them again. Just a thought. Andy mentions triples on heavy day in this thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=47592
    Last edited by hollismb; 05-14-2014 at 07:19 PM.

reps are where the real strength is at. I think it would be pertinent to use a much lighter weight to get used to plowing through reps. And continue a parallel progression in the 3-5 rep range for maximal strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    reps are where the real strength is at. I think it would be pertinent to use a much lighter weight to get used to plowing through reps. And continue a parallel progression in the 3-5 rep range for maximal strength.
    What Ive decided to do initially until I can adapt to the volume is hit a top single at 85-90% of estimated 1RM before my 4x6 work.

Hollismb,

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a solid idea. Ive pretty much decided to do something similar with the "Over Warm-Up" (see reply to Dastardly). Instead of a triple with back off sets though Im working with a single.

Coach Butland,

Ha, glad to hear I'm not only one who finds venturing into the badlands of 5+ rep sets a nightmare. I'd love to keep some higher rep assistance work regularly programmed for conditioning/muscular endurance purposes, but the whole-body 3x a week nature of H/L/M makes it tough to do so without affecting recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    He's still adding reps/volume on Light and Medium day by upping the reps from three to five. Starting with Heavy Day closer to his previous 3X3 would keep the intensity up too. You can always add more sets on Medium day too for extra volume.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    You could try keeping triples for the heavy day and maybe add a backoff set for a few weeks, but keep the Light and Medium at sets of five to get used to them again. Just a thought. Andy mentions triples on heavy day in this thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=47592
    I found this very helpful.
    On H, 1x3, with 2 back-off sets of 5
    L and M 3 sets of 5

It doesn't take long for the weight used for the Heavy 1x3 to be your 3x5 on Medium day.