starting strength gym

Thread: Transition to TM

Default Transition to TM

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Andy,

well, as much as i hoped for LP to last another two weeks it is over. i failed today (did not see it coming until today) at my 5RM 360lb set (had i gotten all 5 it would have been a lifetime PBx5). Ended squats there for the day. Now transitioning those to TM (upper body was already in TM v/i setup and also got terribly hard this week). I write the programme below and see if you have any comments.

Age 32
    BW unknown but higher than 195 (guessing around 205). quite some weight gain over the last 3 weeks, belt has gained 3 holes since i started gaining weight coming back on LP for squats. Really hoping for the 405x5 in squats this time around, i always stop short (current lifetime PR is 375x3).

Day 1
    Intensity Press 5RM // 152.5x5
    Volume Incline BP 5x5 (can't do regular BP) // 150x5x5
    Weighted Pull-Up // BW+55x5, +45x5, +45x5

Day 2
    Volume Squats 5x5 // 320x5x5 *ramped up sets for the first time?
    Intensity DL // 420x5 *i had been able to add 10 lbs up until last week, but definitely not any more.

Day 4
    Intensity Incline BP 5RM // 165x5 (failed last week so i'll start microloading if i get it)
    Volume Press 5x5 // 132.5x5x5

Day 5
    Intensity Squat 5RM // 360x5
    Speed DLs // 345x1x10 EMOM

(should DLs be the other way around?)

Thank you for your help!

Program looks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Program looks fine.
    Thank you Andy! I do have one other question related to the above that i could not totally understand from PPST3. You mention rotating the RM range between bench(incline in this case) and press when doing both for intensity each week. If i understand correctly, that mean that -for example-

week 1
    D1
    Press 3RM
    Volume IBP 5x5
    D4
    IBP 5RM
    Volume Press 5x5

week 2
    D1
    Press 5RM
    Volume IBP 5x5

D4
    IBP 3RM
    Volume Press 5x5

If that is the case, would the rate at which one adds weight changes since it is done for the same rep maxes every two weeks?

Yes, rotate the rep ranges around. I find that one gets stale if all the work is done in just a single rep range, week in and week out.

I'm not sure I understand the latter part of the question? As an intermediate, you should be trying to add weight weekly...regardless of the rep range being utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Yes, rotate the rep ranges around. I find that one gets stale if all the work is done in just a single rep range, week in and week out.

I'm not sure I understand the latter part of the question? As an intermediate, you should be trying to add weight weekly...regardless of the rep range being utilized.
    I'll try to clarify using the Press as an example

Right now i'd just be adding 2.5 lbs:
    w1: V 5x5 132.5 I 5RM 152.5 // w2: V 5x5 135 I 5RM 155 // w3: V 5x5 137.5 I 5RM 155 // and so on...

With the rep ranges change i wonder if then the following could happen (albeit for a little while before going back to microloading)
    w1: V 5x5 132.5 I 5RM 152.5 // w2: V 5x5 135 I 3RM 165 // w3: V 5x5 137.5 I 5RM 155 // w4: V 5x5 140 I 3RM 170 // and so on...

Yeah, just progress each rep ranges independently of the other

Hi Andy,

A follow up question to this thread and one i had before. I will be forced to miss both my volume days in a 4day TM setup next week. I just transitioned this week so it is going to be tricky; i only care about the squats missing the volume.

I would have guessed to add 3-4 sets at the V day weight after the 5RM on I day; however after today i doubt i'd be able to get them like that. Plus that would most likely interfere with the heavy Dls on the day.

Is it OK to keep dropping weight each set on squats this idea? As in top set, then 90% and then dropping say, 10lbs from one set to the next until i get a total 5 sets (should it be a total 6?)? Should i just not even attempt the heavy DL afterwards?

Thank you!

starting strength coach development program
    Descending sets are fine for volume work