starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Months of SS

Default Two Months of SS

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    The first picture of Rip and I was taken at the end of September. I was at a bodyweight of 175lbs. The second was this past Sunday at a bodyweight of 208lbs.

I began SS as outlined in the book (to a T, no adding or subtracting because I am a special flower and my mom says I am handsome) on October 6. The picture with Coach Burgener was taken on December 7. One day over two months.

Now I am almost embarrassed by the "before" picture. Thanks Rip.

To all of you who lurk this forum and want to get big and strong but don't want to do the milk, it is not going to happen. If you want to "design" a Starting Strength-esque program that fits your individual needs a bit better, don't bother. The man has laid it all out for you. Do the program, drink the milk. It will happen, just be prepared to buy an entire new wardrobe, and to have everyone and their brother accuse you of being on steroids.

Nice work, John. Burgener sure looks old, doesn't he?

Great work, Johnny!

I'll second your suggestions. Actually, of the things that messed up my training was attempting to improve on Rip's programs. After I did SS for a few months, somehow I believed that I was invincible. So I went looking for the next shiny routine.

Bad move.

One normally associates freedom with happiness. The idea, I suppose, is that greater freedom allows you greater opportunity to find that magic something that will lead to success. I've come to the conclusion, however, that unbounded freedom promotes discontent, indecision and regret. With unlimited choice, you can never be satisfied with what you are doing. It will never be good enough, and your expectations will never be fulfilled.

This is probably a problem Rip has when he trains a youngster. The kid's been brought up in a culture that idealizes freedom of choice, and how could that choice settle on a few basic exercises, three times a week, and a gallon of milk?

This is not to say freedom is bad, but freedom not guided by reason, experience, and maturity is a recipe for failure. I made the best gains of my life on Rip's routines not because I was convinced it was the shiniest routine in the world, but because it gave me a framework to apply 100% effort while attaining consistent size and strength gains.

So hat's off to you, Johnny. In this day and age, simply following a routine that has proven itself effective for decades IS quite an accomplishment.

Most get distracted along the way.

Best,
    Flux

ps If anyone is interested in synthetic happiness, check out this link:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/d..._we_happy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Nice work, John. Burgener sure looks old, doesn't he?
    Perhaps a little, but that's only because of his proximity to the strong, virile, young, sexual tyrannosaurus of a man standing next to him. An unavoidable contrast.

Alone he doesn't look a day over 30.

No way man, you must be on steroids. I don't believe you .

If you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers before and after. Also whats your height?

33lbs is very impressive well done sir.

I must say i probably spent about a month halfarsing the programme myself until i realised that coach Rip has probably forgotten more stuff than i will ever know and his nutritional and milk requirements haven't been plucked from thin air.

I'd been eating and drinking like a beast for the last couple weeks until i got injured. When i get back and am feeling weak willed, i'll remember your post and that this stuff WORKS.

Nice tats btw.

That's Awesome John!

I am also happy to see that Boston Ale is now part of the program, especially since I have been counting the Cream Stout as part of my GOMAD.

Good stuff, John!

But I gotta know: How much have your lifts gone up in two months? And how long do you plan on sticking with your current program?

starting strength coach development program
    JohnnyPain you look awesome! Great work. When we were at the Boston cert together I remember thinking "Jesus, if that guy gains 30 pounds he will be a monster."

How much did your lifts go up?

Also, everyone should buy shirts from Johnny's Gladiator Academy:
    http://greyskullstore.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast