starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on my Eleiko bar? Have you had this problem?

Default What's on my Eleiko bar? Have you had this problem?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I don't know if it's rust or oxidation or if my bar is screwed. Have you ever had this problem on any of your Eleiko bars? Or ever seen this?

I can't see a thing on your bar from here.

Coach, I'm not sure if you're experiencing what I'm experiencing but for me the pictures don't load, so you might want to check the links themselves: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76938976@N07/7052641763/ & http://www.flickr.com/photos/76938976@N07/7052641755/ .

FUPA, to me that just looks like the chrome plating flaking off. At the ends it's because of the plates sliding on and off and on the knurling I would suggest it's because of sweat and oils and friction. Not a problem, it means you're using the thing the way it's supposed to be used!

I believe it is the chrome coating beginning to wear and chip. The same thing is happening to an Eleiko bar at my gym. Obviously its FUBAR, throw it away.

The bar is fine, it will still work. What that is is just where the chrome is old and peeling off.

Right click on the little broken picture icon and select 'open image in new tab'.

Rust is only a problem when it is in the floor of your car. Oxidation of your Eleiko bar, well it is going to take a while before it eats the bar away. You could wipe it over with some WD 40 and leave it on the rack. Better still just use it.

That, is localized oxidation. Rust for simple-minded. Looks like the chrome plating is/was very thin in places or the alloying process was poorly done for this particular bar and there is little chromium in the steel. It won't hurt you, and in all reality, unless it's red rust, will act as an inhibitor to further oxidation, protecting the bar in the long run.

It's just not as pretty and shiny as it was new. Now, go use it.

starting strength coach development program
    When I approved that post last night, I didn't see any links or attachments. Odd. That bar has been beaten up pretty bad, to the extent that the plating is chipped and the steel is pitted. It has been in a garage somewhere without any maintenance for a long time, probably wet. If the bearings still spin and the shaft is straight, clean it up and use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast