starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making changes

Default Making changes

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Because of the pain in my elbows and the feedback here I received about about squat form and not having reasonable access to a starting strength coach, I met with an oly coach yesterday to receive instruction on the front and hb back squat, which I'll be doing from now on. I also learned the hang snatch, which until I go back (maybe in about a month) I plan on working into my program.

Was thinking about doing back squats on Sunday and Thursday, and Front squats on Tuesdays. I was also thinking about alternating the hang snatches with the deadlifts.

The next time I met this coach, among other things, I want to get help with my deadlift form.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks,

Jon

Well, this kinda depends on your goals. If you have Olympic lifting aspirations this might make sense. If your goals are to get generally strong, then I would just squat 3 days a week and throw out the front squat. I would do rows instead of snatches in that case as well.

From what little I've read of your form posts on here, I think you're "giving up" too quickly. But if this is the route you're going to go, it seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    From what little I've read of your form posts on here, I think you're "giving up" too quickly. But if this is the route you're going to go, it seems reasonable.
    Maybe, but the elbow pain has become nearly unbearable and I'm worried about long term damage but want to get stronger. I like watching oly lifting and think it would be fun to do so I can't find a downside to changing my squat form which will allow me to squatting whereas if I force myself to continue lbbs without proper coaching, I'll end up not lifting at all.

Squeeze all you can from this Oly coach, and after you do post a form check video so you can undo the bad habits you have picked up.

Having said that everytime I see an Oly lifter at a powerlifting seminar they seem to struggle much more than someone who has never lifted anything before.
    Good luck.

I can understand the switch to HBBS to alleviate the elbow pain (going through it myself now, it sucks), but what’s with the hang snatches?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    I can understand the switch to HBBS to alleviate the elbow pain (going through it myself now, it sucks), but what’s with the hang snatches?
    Just intermediate to learning the full snatch. I think oly lifting is cool so going to take the opportunity to learn the lifts over time. Only planning on meeting with this coach about once a month. Not in a hurry. Have plenty of strength to gain.

High bar squatting is better than not squatting. I think your approach sounds reasonable. Good on you for taking the initiative to find a coach.

I really got a lot out of one of the cues from a recent barbell logic podcast: "do what you have to do to feel the weight on the back and not in your arms". For me, that was to have the bar a little higher on my back. Feels much better on my elbows, wrists and shoulders.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdragonfly View Post
    Just intermediate to learning the full snatch. I think oly lifting is cool so going to take the opportunity to learn the lifts over time. Only planning on meeting with this coach about once a month. Not in a hurry. Have plenty of strength to gain.
    Ah. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast