starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 59 today And strongest I've ever been.

Default 59 today And strongest I've ever been.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    i had a heart attack in Feb/2014. As part of my daily hour of 'fit or dead' routine I've been powerlifting since September. I started with strong lifts 5x5 but quickly found this site and haven't looked back. At 5'8", 190 lbs my squats/bench/deadlift are at 300/155/285 for sets, and I'm progressing slowly at this point.

I had to retire as fire chief in December to drop back to one full time job to address the stress component of what's killing me. I've told the guys at the firehall I'm strong enough now that when I inevitably drop dead, I'll carry my own damn coffin.

I intend to strength train until the 'big one' finds me. There's a lot of great advice here on staying fit and strong until something eventually kills you, and that's the way I'll spend the time I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Farback View Post
    I've told the guys at the firehall I'm strong enough now that when I inevitably drop dead, I'll carry my own damn coffin.
    Better yet, bench press the lid off. Good work, firedog.

Nice going with the program. I am 65 and due to life circumstances didn't WO for quite a few years. My son sent me an article wnd some how I found myself on the SS site and got interested again. My goal is to get back to the workout weights I did in 1999, when I was 50 yo. I started a log in the general section under the name papaJerry if you care to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Farback View Post
    i had a heart attack in Feb/2014. As part of my daily hour of 'fit or dead' routine I've been powerlifting since September. I started with strong lifts 5x5 but quickly found this site and haven't looked back. At 5'8", 190 lbs my squats/bench/deadlift are at 300/155/285 for sets, and I'm progressing slowly at this point.

I had to retire as fire chief in December to drop back to one full time job to address the stress component of what's killing me. I've told the guys at the firehall I'm strong enough now that when I inevitably drop dead, I'll carry my own damn coffin.

I intend to strength train until the 'big one' finds me. There's a lot of great advice here on staying fit and strong until something eventually kills you, and that's the way I'll spend the time I have.
    yup I had my heart attack 4 years ago...55. Been back lifting for about 2 years. Took about 2 years to figure out what I needed to do, than once I got my BF down and my anaerobic condition back, I started to power lift again. Not an easy road.

I've competed in the 2 years and am having a blast. I feel very fortunate every day I get to train. I don't take it for granted.

Good lifting on your part and glad you found your way back to the Iron Game. Look forward to following your log and see how you progress.

What's cool about it to me is that this ain't no "90 days to reach your goal" program. You (we) have years...YEARS...of lifting and progressing ahead of us - good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.

Glad to hear you are aware of the dangers of a continual high stress lifestyle, those are impressive lifts for a male of any age.

The key here is you have been bitten by the barbell bug and you will loose your way at times and drift away but you will always return.
    Last edited by hunter308; 05-05-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Nice work, Farback! Keep at it and keep making progress!

nice work and great progress on your recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    - good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.
    Man, that is the real geezer talk. I'm almost 69, and I remember my mom saying that all the time. She got it from her mom - who was born not long after the end of the Civil War.

Old? Yes, I am.

starting strength coach development program
    Good work Farback! Keep lifting!

I really like this about SS. We can keep going for years. I'll be 57 in a week or two, found SS 4 or 5 months ago, and I intend to keep at it for the rest of my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast