starting strength gym

Thread: Strength and metabolic conditioning program

Default Strength and metabolic conditioning program

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I'm curious what your opinion of this program is. It follows a 3 on 1 off schedule and looks like this: day 1 is squat followed by a short ( 15 to 20 minute random conditioning workout ( somewhat like crossfit)). Day 2 is press with another short workout after. Day 3 is DL or clean ( the clean and deadlift rotate) and again another short workout after. Then of course a off day follows and this repeats. Am I setting myself up for slow strength and weight gains this way? I've felt some mild over training with this, too. I could show you strength numbers if you're interested.

Thanks

I'm okay with the set up but I'm not really ok with "random conditioning." The conditioning work needs to be planned around your strength work, and whatever you are doing for conditioning should take into account the next days strength workout.

Ex- if you do a bunch of KB swings the day before deadlifts you are an idiot. If you do a bunch of thrusters the day before squats you are an idiot. etc, etc.

I'd also consider training 2 days on and 1 day off on this schedule. More frequent off days will reduce likelihood of overtraining. What about something like this:

Day 1: Squat/Deadlift
    Day 2: Press + Conditioning
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: Squat/Clean
    Day 5: Press + Conditioning
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Repeat

I actually have given this one out alot with great feedback. I like this one even better.

Day 1: Strength (pick 2-3 lifts and crush it)
    Day 2: Conditioning - push to near death. Prowler or sprints at the track
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: Repeat

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

That's a relief to know I'm not completely wasting my time. I've seen good numbers coming out of this just with, like you said dumb programming, the conditioning has been Russian roulette. Generally I will take into consideration the next strength day but its been hard to know exactly what I'm going to get out of some of the conditioning the next day. Like for example I did a bunch of wall balls the day before a press day and wasn't expecting it to ruin my shoulders like it did.

Awesome program though and I plan on doing it like that from now on. You answered my question.

Thank you