starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your progress on the big lifts sometimes rotate?

Default Does your progress on the big lifts sometimes rotate?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Not sure if that title made sense or not, but over the course of the past year or so, it seems that not all of my lifts seem to progress at the same time. Often, it seems like my deadlift will move up like crazy while my squat stalls or moves very slowly. At other times, it seems as though my squat goes up consistently time after time while my deadlift barely plods along reluctantly. Is this somewhat normal, perhaps progress in one lift prohibits progress in the other? Or maybe programming is sub-optimal for one or the other? For me lately it seems as though my squat is sky rocketing(not complaining) while my deadlift is moving very slowly(complaining). Bench press? Yeah, let's not talk about that. Orangutan arms FTL.

All the damned time. Seems like one of the four big lifts will be stalled while the others work as advertised. This week it was deadlifts.

Haha I wish it was just a week at a time. For me there seem to be spells that last quite a few weeks or even months. Not necessarily stagnation or regression, just much slower progress.

Yeah. When I first started training, Bench Press was the source of eternal gains, and squat and deadlift were always fighting for scraps. Now, my squat and deadlift seem to move reasonably well.

What are your lifts in question? You might just be sufficiently advanced on one lift that progress will be slower than the others.

I think this is normal, and more likely the longer you have been lifting - probably due to the reasons mentioned, but there's one more I would like to add: Over a lifting career there will be periods where you fall in and out of "love" with particular lifts and thus you won't hit them all with equal intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut Chris View Post
    Yeah. When I first started training, Bench Press was the source of eternal gains, and squat and deadlift were always fighting for scraps. Now, my squat and deadlift seem to move reasonably well.

What are your lifts in question? You might just be sufficiently advanced on one lift that progress will be slower than the others.
    Squat and deadlift, but I think a lot of it may have to do with programming as much as anything else, and I hurt my back which halted deadlift progress last October. Still working on catching back up; 15 lbs to go.

No. My squat always progresses for as long as I can stomach the volume, and nothing else ever gets better.

/bitterness

I've had this happen before too. I just take what I can get and keep pushing! :-) Right now my squat and deadlift are moving well, but I am rehabbing my bench. So it goes...

For a VERY long time only my deadlift and bench would progress on LP, then it reversed and only press/squat progressed while bench and deadlift barely budged.

starting strength coach development program
    glad to see it's not just me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast