starting strength gym

Thread: Anthropometry of forearms and humerus

Post Anthropometry of forearms and humerus

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Rip,

On page 195 of Starting Strength you write:
    "Some people with exceptionally weird proportions may find the clean impossible to rack. If this is the case, a lifetime of stretching will not make the clean any more possible ..."

Here are two questions regarding this observation.

1. Do you have any anthropometry guidelines that can be applied to trainees to save them the trouble of a "lifetime of stretching"?

2. What proportion of the population that you have trained have the kind of weird proportions that may prevent them from executing the power clean?

Thanks in advance for your answers. I think these clarifications will save a lot of time for trainees who are struggling in executing the front rack properly.

1. If you cannot rack a clean after proper instruction.

2. Maybe 3%.

Hey Rip, thanks for your response. Can you recommend someone in Philadelphia who can give proper instruction on the power clean?

No coaches in Philadelphia, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No coaches in Philadelphia, sorry.
    There are a handful within a few hours' drive though. Information I was able to find without much trouble, since you are kind enough to make the directory available here:
    The Starting Strength Coaches Directory

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillySteak View Post
    Hi Rip,

On page 195 of Starting Strength you write:
    "Some people with exceptionally weird proportions may find the clean impossible to rack. If this is the case, a lifetime of stretching will not make the clean any more possible ..."

Here are two questions regarding this observation.

1. Do you have any anthropometry guidelines that can be applied to trainees to save them the trouble of a "lifetime of stretching"?
    I read an article on the selection process used by the Soviet Union to identify candidates for thier weightlifting schools. They measured arm, forearm, leg, thigh and spine length. Also, ankle flexibility. Among other things, they did a standing broad jump, vertical, sprint and, if I recall correctly (it was in the '70s), dead lift and press. The article did not reveal any of their data, of course.

It would be interesting research, but pointless here as we are not going to get 8-10 into Olympic weightlifting programs in this country. I started my son at age 11 and I am convinced that starting young is critical.