starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the verdict on 'wasted' calories and/or protein?

Default What's the verdict on 'wasted' calories and/or protein?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Is there one even?

It's abundantly clear eating is 90% of the equation of strength building. 8% sleeping. 2% effective strength training. At least, that's my breakdown.

But is there any reliable data showing just when the energy is wasted? When the protein isn't utilized? I couldn't give two shits about being lean with abz, so this isn't why I'm asking. I go to bed with a substantial amount of calories and protein so that my body can effectively recover. I just hope none of it is going to waste, feeding yourself gets expensive, you know?

198lbs and pressing 240lbs. Come at me, bro.

If you get fat, you're wasting food.

Jordan just blogged on this issue relative to protein. You can find it here..

http://barbellmedicine.com/2014/02/2...rotein-intake/

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Jordan just blogged on this issue relative to protein. You can find it here..

http://barbellmedicine.com/2014/02/2...rotein-intake/
    This is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for linking it!

And thanks to Mr. Jordan for writing this up!

Quote Originally Posted by 2011holidayschedule View Post
    Is there one even?

It's abundantly clear eating is 90% of the equation of strength building. 8% sleeping. 2% effective strength training. At least, that's my breakdown.

But is there any reliable data showing just when the energy is wasted? When the protein isn't utilized? I couldn't give two shits about being lean with abz, so this isn't why I'm asking. I go to bed with a substantial amount of calories and protein so that my body can effectively recover. I just hope none of it is going to waste, feeding yourself gets expensive, you know?

I'd be more inclined to say it's 33.33% for each of them. They are all important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    I'd be more inclined to say it's 33.33% for each of them. They are all important.
    Really?

I'm speaking from my own experiences. I'm an intermediate level lifter by every definition of the term, but there's pretty much no way I can make significant gains without continually gaining weight, probably until 240-260 or so (I'm 5'10"). The strength gains would come brutally easy as long I'm eating in gross excess of what I'm eating now at 200lbs.

So I really stick by that. I sure as hell will never get that big because it's a totally impractical weight range for someone who doesn't do this stuff professionally, but from my experiences, that's far and away the biggest contributor. Hell, I notice when I eat 300 calories less on a lifting day.
    Last edited by 2011holidayschedule; 02-27-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Is there one even?

By that rationale you could cut training out of the equation and still get strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you get fat, you're wasting food.
    Wasted? Or saved for later?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan3088 View Post
    By that rationale you could cut training out of the equation and still get strong.
    The way I look at it is as such:

You spend, what, four hours a week training? Unless, of course, you're doing this stuff professionally. I spend about an hour and twenty minutes per workout day (Generally 3x a week). Break that down over the entire week in comparison to effort, time, and money spent on eating, and I think you'll see more where I'm coming from.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't know that I'd say it's 33% each, but I wouldn't call eating close to 90% either, and I'd definitely have training far above 2%. Sleeping is definitely variable, since Jordan manages to make progress somehow, while I'd be trashed on his sleep schedule.

there's pretty much no way I can make significant gains without continually gaining weight, probably until 240-260 or so (I'm 5'10"). The strength gains would come brutally easy as long I'm eating in gross excess of what I'm eating now at 200lbs.
    I sure as hell will never get that big
    I wouldn't be worrying about 240-260 for a while. I've got a bit more than half a foot on you, and I'm pushing 260 right now. Maybe your body type can support it, but for me at the current time, that's pushing it. There's a limit (albeit a moving one) of how much you can weigh before it skews heavily towards fat. I've moved that up over a few years of lifting, but at 260 I'm in the upper levels, close to that limit. When I cut down, I'll probably get back to around 240.

Not saying eating's not important, but I would say lifting is more important. True, you won't grow unless you eat. That's a very important part that many people overlook. But you won't grow the right way without lifting, and there's a limit to how much food/gaining weight can help. I could get to 300lbs in a few months, but there would be heavily diminishing returns on my lifting progress.

The way I look at it is as such:

You spend, what, four hours a week training? Unless, of course, you're doing this stuff professionally. I spend about an hour and twenty minutes per workout day (Generally 3x a week). Break that down over the entire week in comparison to effort, time, and money spent on eating, and I think you'll see more where I'm coming from.
    I do get where you're coming from, but I still have to disagree, especially with the effort part. I may just want to go to bed rather than eating at night, but it's still not nearly as hard as my squats. I'm maintaining my weight at 5000 calories, and yes, preparing and eating that gets tiring at times, but it's not as difficult as the workouts.

Also, I spend a lot more time in the gym and only cook for myself, so that may change the relationship. Personally, I don't think I spend much more time on food than at the gym. Being a good multi-tasker in the kitchen also helps. Everywhere else I'm terrible at doing more than one thing at a time, but I can somehow manage it while cooking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast