starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back unstable- Help this dancer kid out!!!

Angry Lower back unstable- Help this dancer kid out!!!

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys!
    Has anyone heard of someone coming back to lifting after having an unstable lower back? I used to be strong and a dedicated squatter (sbd 255/185/380) until I popped my lower back out doing the splits at a dance audition a year ago. Ever since I can't get my si joint or lower pelvis to hold together well enough to deadlift (I just ripped it out a month ago with only 215). That's when I started to really hunker down on pt instead of continually getting adjusted.

My pt (also Chiro and deep tissue person) says I just need to get my pelvic floor and inner thigh muscles stable, as well as my glutes and abs. since I'm pretty flexible (dancer) but not very strong (anymore), I get hurt alot. However I'm not certain if she will work me back into squats and deadlifts again, since I can barely seem to keep my body stable as it is. they have a squat rack in their tiny gym, but it seems like they might use this unstable low back thing as a copout to having me get back into squats and deadlifts, like, ever.

tbh, I'm okay with never doing those excercises again, if there is another way to keep my back strong and stable enuogh to do all the dancing I want to do. As of right now, it even jostles around painfully when I jump/ run.

even worse, because I have spent the last year weak (aka not lifting but dancing), I have spent it very injured. Jammed my ankle, Twisted my knee, and always consistent back issues, which flared up a month ago with the most recent deadlift accident (p.s.- I have good deadlift form 90% sure- used to post on these forums and such.)

I know you guys aren't doctors, but have you heard of this kind of problem or people coming back from it before to hard core lifting? I want to be strong, but I want to be strong at 6'2", long thighs, and 175-180 lbs (i'm sorry, I'm a chorus boy/ young actor- it's the look I need).

I'm looking for inspiration in what has been kind of a dark year, any inspirational stories much appreciated!

Also, I live in Irvine, CA. If you know any gods/ awesome people that work in the area that have rescued someone you know from a problem like this, let me know!)

Thanks a ton- props for you to reading to the bottom! It's my dream to be a musical theater triple threat, but man, I can't do it until I solve this problem! And I need to know if I can solve it. Otherwise, I really need to change my college major and find a new line of work .

Positivity in comments please. I'm sure I don't have to say it, but I really cant deal with another "Shutup and squat" when I am literally terrified of popping my si joint out running.

I wanna be the dancer kid rehab story for Starting Strength. "even skinny dancers squat 3 plates below parallel!" Please, help me make it come true!!

thanks for reading to the bottom- a year of stress you just read through. You guys rock! -Michael

Michael, you need to put a bar on your back and squat and deadlift. These are precisely the things that will get all of the muscles around your hips/low back strong and stable. Do yourself a favor and go see one of our many SS Coaches in California http://startingstrength.org/index.ph...19eb9785f33b8/.