starting strength gym

Thread: Can I Should Train With Achilles Tendonopathy(itis)?

Default Can I Should Train With Achilles Tendonopathy(itis)?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey there,

This is actually my first thread in this forum and its probably in the wrong place but anyway...

I just started the program but I have a pretty bad and sore Achilles Tendonopathy. I know that I should not run on it but I have been. Today though I played a soccer game and its really sore so I need to stop running and get it better.

Question is if I can/should keep lifting?

Any strength coaches or physio answers would be great.

Much appreciated.

Yes. Do the program exactly as written, just pay even more attention to form. Particularly, make sure your knees are out at the bottom, and that they don't cave in at all when you come out of the hole. They should be in line with your toes, about 30 degrees out, but if it's in question, shove them out further.

Squats done poorly will make it worse, while squats done correctly will make it much better.

Having had both Tendonitus and a fully ruptured achilles I am able to agree with Pebcak that, yes, you can keep lifting.
    If you have any tension in the achilles, setting your heels on a book or other raises surface will help.

I've seen a bunch of physios over these complaints and the main exercise they all advise are calf raises. Although if you are feeling pain then you should only do the lowering part of the exercise (I think that's called the 'eccentric' phase, or something). If you can't manage that, put a towel or skipping rope around your foot and apply some tension then extend and contract your foot. Apparently, as I was told, big strong calves are the best protection against further problems.

I'm no expert, I'm just passing on the advice I was given.