starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Platform Video: Correct grip width in the press

Default Platform Video: Correct grip width in the press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

That was a very instructive video angle to illustrate the moment arm between hand and shoulder.

Hi Rip,

Thanks for the tip. Can you elaborate on why the wider grip is good for the bench, and explain the difference between both presses?

I thought you said you had read the book.

Is it any problem if part of your grip is on the plain area of the bar if one is narrow shouldered?

Depends on the bar. Photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I thought you said you had read the book.
    1. Yes; that was about two years ago.
    2. You're book is sooo packed with valuable information, that it's quite hard to remember all the details (even though I did review it several times AND take notes!).
    3. Even after rereading the relevant chapters now, I'm still not clear on the differences between the standing press and the bench press, in regards to why you recommend a narrower grip on the standing press.

I did notice that regarding the bench press you explain that one shortens the range of motion with a wider grip, and therefore one can lift more, despite a greater moment arm. From my own personal inspection, it appears that too wide a grip on the standing press will stress the wrist more than with the bench.

Regarding the moment arm in the standing press, it appears to me that as long as one's forearms are vertical, the moment arm is not increased. In other words, with a narrow grip exactly shoulder width, the elbows will extend forward as on presses up, and the moment arm will equal the distance from the shoulder to elbow when the upper arm is parallel to the ground. With a wider grip the elbows will extend towards the left and right sides (laterally), and so long as the grip is not so wide that the forearm remains vertical, the moment arm will be the same as in the narrower grip, because the moment arm will equal the distance from the shoulder to elbow at the point of movement where the upper arm is parallel to the ground.

Personally I prefer the slightly wider grip as it provides an opportunity to work the middle deltoids. The narrower grip works the front deltoids; and since the bench press doesn't work the middle deltoids and does work the front deltoids, I prefer to include a focus on the middle deltoids in my program.

Bottom line is you are the coach, and I feel I'm missing something, because it's not clear to me why you are recommending such a narrow grip... or am I mistaken in what you are recommending?

Rip, for reference, do you know Chase's shoulder width, acromion to acromion?

That's one of the few things I do not know.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm still not clear on the differences between the standing press and the bench press, in regards to why you recommend a narrower grip on the standing press.
    Hint: vertical _____arms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast