starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future, alcohol, and the Military

Post The future, alcohol, and the Military

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

Thought typing up an actual document might be easier to read than a Facebook message. I tried looking for an email address, but this might be easier. So first off, my name is Aaron, I’m 24 years old, about 5’10 and weigh 212lbs. I’m originally from PA, being in the Marine Corps, I’ve ended in CA for now.
    I am a huge fan of you work; I was first introduced to your work about 8 months ago, and I’ve had nothing but great experiences in the weight room. Currently my numbers are:

5RM Squat: 400
    5RM Bench: 350
    5RM Deadlift: 475
    5RM Press: 205

The strength I’ve gained from SS and then progressing to the Texas Method is unbelievable. I never thought in a million years I’d be this strong. Anyway, the main reason I wanted to send you this message is some concerns/questions of mine. I’ll just list them below.

1. I want to hit a target weight of 220lbs, but I’ve stalled out for the last month or so. It has started to pick up since I started drinking more milk, so hopefully that kicks in and brings me to my target. So my question is, once I hit my target weight, then what? Would a cutting cycle be the plan of action? Or would I just simply continue on the program, but just cut calories? What about cardio? What are the best ways to lose weight/fat and still maintain the strength I’ve gained? If you’re wondering, I never really had the plans to do powerlifting competitions, but it has become a possibility. I was a D1 javelin thrower in college, and I no longer compete. What have you seen most people do once they hit a goal? Maybe I need to do some more soul searching in this aspect. Any information on these topics is greatly appreciated.
    2. Alcohol…. I’m currently in the middle of Mean Ol’ Mr. Gravity, so that might shed some light on this topic. But what are your opinions about it? I enjoy the occasional few beers, and maybe once every 2 or 3 months I’ll drink pretty heavily. Does this really set me back? Or can I continue with what I’m already doing?
    3. Final question… Being in the military, we’ll have Field Exercises where we’re out in the middle of nowhere for an entire week, or longer. Only eating MRE’s (which more or less suck ass), getting little or no sleep, and just overall fatigue. How should I return from a week like this? I’m assuming I’m going to do a slight de-load, but how much? How much are weeks like this setting me back? What are some things I can do in the field to alleviate any of the problems I might be having?

Again Coach, I’m a huge fan of your work. I can’t thank you enough for the knowledge you give to those who want it. Anyone that has ever asked me a question about weightlifting, I simply refer them to your work. I only wish someone had done the same to me earlier. Hope all is well on your side coach. Best wishes.

1. Why do you want to weigh 220? Why not 230?
    2. My opinions on alcohol are revealed by a search of this board. Start here: http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum159/
    3. Repeat the workout you did before you left, after a day of rest and huge food.

Strength acquired through the loss of living your life is worthless, in my opinion. Body fat and alcohol, like most things in life, are fine in moderation.

As for a field exercise (do they do DCXs still or just MEU EXs?), such is life. If it's only a week and you don't fuck yourself up on the weekend after when you're on libo... just come in where you left off an see how it goes. For extended stuff (like a 2-3 training ex somewhere) try a 10% deload.

There will absolutely be setbacks due to deployments and training, but that's why you're training for strength anyway, right? Recover and pick up progression when you get back to the rear.

Question for you: how is your unit/command taking your increasing weight? Are they being ridiculous about it, or do they not care so long as you PFT/CFT are high (I assume they are, given your totals)?

Coach,

I guess the reason I only wanted to get to 220 was due to yearly physical fitness tests conducted by the Marine Corps. Sit ups, pull ups (which aren't a problem) and the dreaded 3 mile run. My last ran I ran in 23mins at 210lbs. Trying to keep it below 24 minutes, so something might have to give.

Yep, you go over 220 and the time will be 24:10, just as sure as the sun rises in the east.

Can you fit a dozen cans of tuna in your bag? Or get some protein bars from Costco/Sams Club. With your numbers it seems like you could handle the extra weight no problem. I was 160 lbs and weak as fuck when I was in but still managed to squeeze few cans of Chef Boyardee in my bag and hump it all over SoCal no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post
    Strength acquired through the loss of living your life is worthless, in my opinion. Body fat and alcohol, like most things in life, are fine in moderation.

As for a field exercise (do they do DCXs still or just MEU EXs?), such is life. If it's only a week and you don't fuck yourself up on the weekend after when you're on libo... just come in where you left off an see how it goes. For extended stuff (like a 2-3 training ex somewhere) try a 10% deload.

There will absolutely be setbacks due to deployments and training, but that's why you're training for strength anyway, right? Recover and pick up progression when you get back to the rear.

Question for you: how is your unit/command taking your increasing weight? Are they being ridiculous about it, or do they not care so long as you PFT/CFT are high (I assume they are, given your totals)?
    Most likely MEU EXs. As for the deload, my assumptions were pretty much on par with what you suggested. As for my unit, they really don't care, just that I really pass the PFT/CFT. Again, the score really doesn't matter as much as my strength, I'll trade that score for strength any day. I used to be up in the high 290's about a year ago, but now I'll be pulling off 270's, which is still first class.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Rowe View Post

Oh and I'm not sure if you're aware of the new changes to the PFT coming in the next few months or so. The new max time for the run is going to be 19:30 instead of 18:30, and the new max pull-ups will be 22 instead of 20. Sit-ups might stay the same, however. So they are tailoring physical fitness towards more strength oriented goals, which is nice.

And I have never/will never make weight standards for the military. At my height of 69 inches, my max weight is SUPPOSED to be 186lbs....... 186lbs?! You have to kidding me... So I just get roped-n-choked every time and make the standard for fat%. Just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yep, you go over 220 and the time will be 24:10, just as sure as the sun rises in the east.
    Coach,

Point taken. I'll just keep on pushing. Thank you for the replys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzal View Post
    Can you fit a dozen cans of tuna in your bag? Or get some protein bars from Costco/Sams Club. With your numbers it seems like you could handle the extra weight no problem. I was 160 lbs and weak as fuck when I was in but still managed to squeeze few cans of Chef Boyardee in my bag and hump it all over SoCal no problem.
    Yeah, usually my ruck is 20% gear that I need, 80% food. If only I could figure out a way to bring milk with me...

Quote Originally Posted by shrunkenhero View Post
    Yeah, usually my ruck is 20% gear that I need, 80% food. If only I could figure out a way to bring milk with me...
    If you really wanted to bring milk, you could bring powder and mix it in your canteen cup. I don't know if it's worth the hassle, though (you probably already know this, but do not mix it in your canteen out in the field...). It's possible to do reasonably well on the 3 mile at heavier body weights, but I found that it put a big beating on my legs to train for it. The Marine Corps just needs to get rid of that test, but I don't see it happening any time soon. It's a give and take, and you have to decide which is the best balance for what you want, since promotion is tied to the score, it's not entirely trivial. At least during the second half of the year during CFT testing, the 800 m is easy to get a high score on. Good luck, train hard, but pick a goal and be consistent.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    If you really wanted to bring milk, you could bring powder and mix it in your canteen cup. I don't know if it's worth the hassle, though (you probably already know this, but do not mix it in your canteen out in the field...). It's possible to do reasonably well on the 3 mile at heavier body weights, but I found that it put a big beating on my legs to train for it. The Marine Corps just needs to get rid of that test, but I don't see it happening any time soon. It's a give and take, and you have to decide which is the best balance for what you want, since promotion is tied to the score, it's not entirely trivial. At least during the second half of the year during CFT testing, the 800 m is easy to get a high score on. Good luck, train hard, but pick a goal and be consistent.
    I agree, it probably is too much of a hassle. Yeah, I found out that just running it once just destroyed me for a day or two, in regards to fatigue and just loss of water. I'll max the CFT everytime, thats not a problem for me. Great advice though, I'll definitely take it into consideration. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast