starting strength gym

Thread: Stretch reflex with WL shoes on

Default Stretch reflex with WL shoes on

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi rip, my first pair of WL shoes came in yesterday. They were the Romaleos 2. Did a squat session @ 176kg in them today. I realised that with the WL shoes on, i had almost zero stretch reflex at the bottom of my squats. I felt weaker with them on. I did a search and couldnt figure this out. Is there an explanation to this? Could it just be due to the heavier weight im using this time around compared to my previous session (175kg)?

Should i ditch the WL shoes and continue with flat soled?

I assure you that the shoes do not diminish your stretch reflex. In the event that you decide to get rid of them, what size are they?

Those are some damn fine shoes if they're anything like the Romaleos I, I don't think it's their fault per se. I have an hypothesis: since the shoes allow you to go deeper, maybe you're cutting the squat a little higher and therefore not having such a large stretch on the hamstrings and adductors, reducing the stretch reflex.

Could it be that the raised heels are causing you to be over your toes more? (I've done this.) Sit back more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I assure you that the shoes do not diminish your stretch reflex. In the event that you decide to get rid of them, what size are they?
    Maybe i just need to get used to them. Idk. will try again tommorow. Are there any downsides on squatting with them on though?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa View Post
    Maybe i just need to get used to them. Idk. will try again tommorow. Are there any downsides on squatting with them on though?
    Yeah all the dudes at the powerlifting meets wearing chucks and Asics wrestling shoes will want to talk to you about your sweet set of shoes. Just give yourself some time to acclimate and take more warm ups until it feels natural/right. My first 2 weeks in oly shoes were laughable but I'll never go back.

It takes time to adjust to the shoes because going from no heel to a heel changes your form. Learn how to squat in the shoes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppa View Post
    Are there any downsides on squatting with them on though?
    No.