starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling over while squatting

Default Falling over while squatting

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a problem with squats. It's something I'm going to do my best to articulate succinctly.

The best way to describe it is that I fall over backwards when I squat without weight. However, if I counter balance with a dumbbell in front of me, I have no problem and squat down past parallel. I am able to get down into figure 2-8 position now but not without difficulty and not in a straight down motion. i.e. I have to wiggle it down there.

When I add bar weight it creates a situation that's somewhat in-between falling over and going down straight with a locked upper back. In particular I start to good morning.

The following link is me as the OP:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comm...ing_with_deep/

If you want I can repost the videos here but I think the other thread also is a very good summary of where I'm at and what I've been trying.

Please help I feel extremely frustrated and disheartened at this point. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm pretty sure I'm in a minority with the issues I'm facing. Here are a few related threads where others are experiencing the same problem.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6989793&page=1 (not me)
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=17458&page=1 (not me)

Thanks coach

You have used the method in SS:BBT3 exactly as it is described in the book, and it has not worked?

I'm using BBT2, purchased via amazon prior to 3 release. I'm happy and rocking forward with everything except squats. I'm 10kg off now of outgrowing my apartment gym through DLs which maxes at 125kg worth of plates. For a guy who has never been strong, humbly it feels awesome.

If you recommend it will make the difference I'll order V3 tomorrow but it's slow and a tad bit costly for me. Amazon doesn't ship to panama so I have to have it shipped to Miami then repackaged and shipped via special courier to Panama.

You're not leaning forward enough. We ship to Panama.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have used the method in SS:BBT3 exactly as it is described in the book, and it has not worked?
    SS:BBT3 has more to add on the squat? I thought the press was the only change.

Who told you that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who told you that?

No one, just the uninformed impression that formed in my brain.
    I know that the press had some fundamental changes on the hip drive, read some great articles on it here.
    I didnt realize there were other major changes too.

There's also the Kindle version, which doesn't actually require a Kindle--you can install the software on your computer. And you could have it in like 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taf View Post
    The best way to describe it is that I fall over backwards when I squat without weight.
    I'm sorry--I just re-read this. Why are you squatting without weight? Are you a child? A small, untrained woman?

Or do you mean that, when you squat down and do the stretching exercise where you push your knees out with your elbows, you fall over?

If the former, based on the clips of you squatting with weight on the bar, I'd guess that your problem is that you're trying to stay too upright. Although the other problem is that you're spending time squatting without weight.

I am able to get down into figure 2-8 position now but not without difficulty and not in a straight down motion. i.e. I have to wiggle it down there.
    I am not sure what this means. Do you mean you have to "wiggle" to get down when you do unweighted squats? Your weighted squats don't show signs of a "wiggle", except maybe at the top, which seems like the result of trying to start the movement standing up too straight (although I can't say for sure, since you conveniently cut off the bar at the top) and trying to keep your torso too upright.

Please help I feel extremely frustrated and disheartened at this point. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I'm pretty sure I'm in a minority with the issues I'm facing.
    No, the problem is quite common. See Rip's simple but true explanation above.

starting strength coach development program
    Taf, I feel like this is more common than you think. When I'm warming up on most of the major lifts they just feel awkward until I have a somewhat significant (for me) weight on the bar. For instance, my last work sets of squats were for sets of 5 reps @ 335lbs (~152kg). But my warm up sets didn't really feel natural until I had 225lbs (~102kg) on the bar. Honestly, for a while now I've found that anything below 185lbs (~84kg) just feels completely awkward to me. If I had to guess, this is because heavier weights essentially force me to clean up my form and bar path if I don't want to fail the set. However, unlike you I can easily get into the bottom position of a squat without any weight on my back (with my arms in front of me and shoving my knees out). But if I try to squat with JUST the bar on my back, it feels really unnatural until I had some weight.

My only advice would be to focus on making your last few warm ups sets and work sets perfect and not worry so much about what happens at really light weights. This is what I did and while my squats still aren't perfect, they've certainly improved over time. That and I'm happily still making linear progress on all of my lifts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast