starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in the butt Deadlift

Default Pain in the butt Deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mr. Rip,

Um, so did Bill Starr's lower back rehab where I started with 75 reps of deadlifts and good mornings, and worked my way down in reps and up in weight over 2 weeks time, every single day.

I have EXTREMELY tight hamstrings (since 4 years old, as far back as I remember, I could not touch toes without bending knees, unless I force it with momentum, and already warmed up). Now, after these two weeks, I have a pain I'd rate 3/10 right where the hamstrings meet the butt, whenever I try to "lift" my chest up during the setup for the deadlift. This pain is non existent in any other position, except for this.

After warming up for a long time, the pain is 1/10 and sets are doable on deadlifts.

What is the right approach, continue and the pain will go away eventually? Take a rest from deadlifts? Not quite sure how to approach it, and I hate taking rests unless I REALLY need to.

Thanks for any opinions.

Matt.

You have developed a dose of tendinitis in your hamstring origin at the ischial tuberosity. The reps sometimes do this. Ibuprofen and lower volume should heal it up, no longer than it's been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You have developed a dose of tendinitis in your hamstring origin at the ischial tuberosity. The reps sometimes do this. Ibuprofen and lower volume should heal it up, no longer than it's been there.
    Perhaps add some light eccentric Romanian DLs to create some healing inflammation in the hamstring tendons?

Hi Mr. Rip,

My back was at I'd say 90% healed, and I went to compete (wrestling/jiu jitsu) and re injured it stupidly. Now with this annoying tendonitis, should I try the high rep rehab routine over again and ignore the tendonitis, or lay off a week for the tendonitis to go away, and then start Starr's rehab routine?

Thanks,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by bma_mat View Post
    Now with this annoying tendonitis, should I try the high rep rehab routine over again and ignore the tendonitis, or lay off a week for the tendonitis to go away, and then start Starr's rehab routine?
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...336#post499336