starting strength gym

Thread: Unracking the Bench-Press Problems

Default Unracking the Bench-Press Problems

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach Rip,

Coach Rip,

I broke my left humerus over a year ago, had surgery so i was never in a cast. I did SS and are now on TM. My biggest problem with upper body lifts is still that arm, particularly when unracking the BP. It has recently come to a point where the other day i had unracked the right arm, but not the left... it took quite a toll on me to then unrack the left arm... and then i could not get a single rep on that set... Whenever i have bench problems it typically relates also to pain on that broken humerus. I've been doing curls recently on light day -have been doing chin-ups for a while- to try and help rehab of that arm. i still feel like the triceps are nowhere near the same size on each arm... Do you think Dips or some other assistance exercise would be better suited to help me finally correct this problem? Thank you!

Stats: 5'8 // 215lb // SQ 330x5 // DL 390x3 // BP 175x3 (failed at 180) // P 130x3

Bones take a couple of years to completely stop hurting, especially diaphyseal fractures. I think you're expecting this to not be true.

Oh, OK. The doctor had told me in a year i should be fine... but i trust you more! however, regarding the differential in strength for things such as unracking on each arm, do you think it is also just a matter of loads of time and patience?

Time and patience. I suggest you focus on the press for a while. The loads will be lighter but still hard, and you probably need to get your press up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Time and patience. I suggest you focus on the press for a while. The loads will be lighter but still hard, and you probably need to get your press up anyway.
    I will do that then, no problem since it is a more manly lift anyway!... by "a while" are you suggesting around 12 weeks or more?

Test it every 12 weeks. Do what is necessary depending on how it feels.

starting strength coach development program
    I assume you fractured the humerus at the so-called surgical neck? I had that exact same fracture several years ago (and also underwent surgery to fix it) and I've found multiple warm-up sets (something like 4x5@45lb) usually helps prevent my shoulder from hurting when unracking the bar.